1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 12:27 PM by catdaddy

New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?

tzdvl

I have McAfee AntiVirus Plus running on Windows 7 (sp1) Home Premium.

Yesterday the program updated to version 14.0.1076.

I now have a new task showing in Windows Task Scheduler, under the Task Scheduler Library: McAfeeLogon .

The task is set to Run "At log on of any user", and Start a program "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe/platui".

The Task Scheduler shows the task to be active and running continuously on my system whenever I am using it.

I am curious about this new task. I have been using McAfee security products since the computer was new in 2013, and I know there were never any McAfee-related tasks installed or running before yesterday's update.

The AntiVirus Plus program appears to be working normally and perfectly, and there are no obvious changes in program function or features, so why is this new task necessary, and what does it do?

Thanks!

KB

• 1. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
          Peter M

Yes I see that in my Task Scheduler, quite normal.   As far as I can see it activates the user interface to run in the background.

I would strongly advise you leave it alone.

As the software evolves new processses appear and some old ones disappear, that's to be expected.,

• 2. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
            tzdvl

Thanks for the response, Ex_Brit,

I guess I was not clear about the specific info I was requesting...

As far as I can tell, the McAfee VirusScan program has ALWAYS had the user interface running in the background on my system, WITHOUT requiring a Scheduled Task installed to run.

The task was definitely not present in the Task Scheduler before yesterday's program update (neither hidden or not hidden), and the user interface was always running and available.

I assume that it is now "normal" for the new task to be installed and running, at least as of yesterday, and I certainly don't intend to delete, disable, or otherwise interfere with it.

I am simply wondering why, as of yesterday, McAfee has decided to assign a normal program component (the user interface) to a scheduled task, when the same function ran previously WITHOUT dependence on a scheduled task.

It seems to me that the primary reason to create ANY scheduled task is to allow easy user control over the function enabled by the task (to allow a user to disable or enable that function).

Security programs in general normally are designed to prevent unnecessary user meddling - why now make a core program component vulnerable to mischief? Does McAfee really think that a user would want to disable the program user interface, and if so, why now?

Thanks!

KB

• 3. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
              Peter M

Well the way tasks work changes with time and the upcoming Win 10 release most likely has something to do with it too.

I never question anything unless my software starts acting up.

;-)

• 4. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                tzdvl

I'm wondering if the change from starting the user interface via a scheduled task (rather than via a registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) isn't possibly a fix for a long-time program annoyance?

As long as I can remember there has been an issue where when Windows starts and the Action Center flag first appears in the tray, the white flag shows a red X, with messages that there is no security software installed. This message persists for about a minute, whereupon the flag turns white, and all is OK.

The issue has been hashed out in various forums forever (search the forums for "Action Center flag red x"), and as far as I know there has never been a fix offered. The general consensus is that the problem is NOT a delay in loading the security software, but rather a delay in Windows acknowledging that it is actually running.

I verified myself that the tray warning is bogus. All of the necessary security processes and protections ARE being loaded properly and as expected when windows starts; only the Action Center verification is delayed by about a minute.

I notice that since the McAfee program update on June 26, NOW when the Action Center flag appears it is all-white, with no messages about security.

I wonder if the switch to a scheduled task to load the user interface isn't the long-awaited fix?

KB

• 5. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                  Peter M

Who knows?  They hardly ever tell us what gets fixed or when.

• 6. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                    Peter M

By the way, I haven't seen that flag you mentioned, at all, so have no idea.  Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat if you need them. Link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
                    Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
                    I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
                    Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
                    Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 7. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                      Peacekeeper

This error comes and goes last time was 2 mths ago where it stayed on not cleared up after a few minutes. Past 2 mths all is quiet on my install.

• 8. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                        tzdvl

OK, here's another one...

Since a recent update (7-17-2015), along with the above McAfeeLogon task there is another NEW task in my Windows 7 Task Scheduler:

McAfee Remediation (Prepare)

This task is (was) triggered "When the task is created or modified - After triggered, repeat every 1.00:00:00 indefinitely.",

and shows as Status: Ready.

The task is intended to Start a program > C:\Common Files\AV\McAfee Anti-Virus And Anti-Spyware\upgrade.exe/prepare.

Does anyone know what this task is doing, and whether it REALLY needs to be permanently present in the Task Scheduler library?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: New Scheduled Task: McAfeeLogon after program update yesterday?
                          Peter M

It is part of the precautions being built into the software for those people who will soon upgrade to Windows 10 to ensure the software will work OK afterwards.   BTW a word of advice to anyone reading this who is expecting to upgrade on or around the 29th July.  Temporarily disable your anti-virus before attempting the process of upgrading.

1 2 Previous Next