4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2015 9:48 AM by erpede

McAfee ePO update and OS update

jarndt

Hello all,

We are currently at ePO version 4.6.0 and would like to update to the current 5.3.0.  I understand that I cannot do a direct upgrade, however.  I've been able to find all the upgrade documents so far.

We'd also like to update from MS Server 2008 to 2012.  I'd like to know if is it better to update ePO first and then update the OS?  I'm not sure what the best practices would be.  And if there are any documents that I overlooked, it would be appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jamie

• 1. Re: McAfee ePO update and OS update
          chrisakinika

Hi Jamie,

Hand on heart, if you want to go to Server 2012/ePO5.3, I'd say if you can, just build a new server, install 5.3 and then import the settings over from 4.6.

But if you have no other option than to go through the process, I'd go for updating the to 2012 first, get all config/updates/patches out of the way and then do the ePO upgrade.

McAfee's product download pages that you can access with your grant number have great install and best practice guides for ePO, helped me a lot when getting our new server up and running. 

• 2. Re: McAfee ePO update and OS update
            jarndt

Thanks a bunch, chrisakinika!  That does sound like the best solution.  If I could just ask a few more questions...

It looks like this might be the article I need for moving computers to the new server. Do the agents get updated with the new server after they've been migrated?

McAfee KnowledgeBase - How to transfer/move computers from one ePO server to another

Also, will I need to migrate the SQL database to a new one?  Or can the old one be used?

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Recommended procedure for migrating or moving an ePO database to a new SQL server

• 3. Re: McAfee ePO update and OS update
              chrisakinika

Hi Jamie,

That first guide works well if you have both old and new server booting working side-by-side, which may not be relevant in the case of an upgrade.

I can only really talk of my experience, but when I did the upgrade here I basically started from scratch; new ePO server build, new SQL database, and then deployed new agents to all the endpoints.  It took a few days post-install for tweaking and catching straggler endpoints, but meant that everything was on the same level and there were no hang-over setttings from the previous ePO that may have caused issues further down the line.

As far as I'm aware you can use the old SQL database and just migrate it, but again, given circumstance, it may be better to create new.

• 4. Re: McAfee ePO update and OS update
                erpede

Chrisakinika,

do you have your steps documented? Would you mind sharing your infomations? - I'm about to going the same way: New OS. New ePO. New DB. But keeping my old settings, policies, structure and tasks

Would be great.

Thanks