2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 10:52 AM by bsctd

How to enable verbose logging in MVM 7.5.7 for Unix Linux Shell scanning

bsctd

I need to enable some verbose logging during  a scan when targeting a few aix and Linux servers. I've checked technical support page and it only lists stuff for fcm or the web module.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to enable verbose logging in MVM 7.5.7 for Unix Linux Shell scanning
          user83

Not sure if you're trying to trouble shoot an authentication or vulnerability issue, but here are some keys for enabling verbose logging on an MVM scan engine that I find helpful.  These need to be created in the system's registry.  These are all DWORD registry keys that should be set to FF (255) when you want to enable verbose logging:

1. LogShell
            1. This enables verbose logging for Shell authentication
          2. LogWam
            1. This enables verbose logging for Windows authentication
          3. LogVulns
            1. This enables verbose logging for OS vulnerabilities

These need to be created in the HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\Foundstone\Foundscan\Tweaks\ (for 64 bit scan engines) or HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Foundstone\Foundscan\Tweaks\ folder (for 32bit scan engines).  If the tweaks registry folder is not there, create it.  Once you add (or remove) these registry keys you will need to restart the FSLogDispatcher service.  This usually has a few other services that are dependent on it, which is fine.

Enabling verbose logging can create a lot of large log files, so I wouldn't recommend keeping it enabled.

• 2. Re: How to enable verbose logging in MVM 7.5.7 for Unix Linux Shell scanning
            bsctd

Thank you will try this. I had the KB article somewhere but lost the URL.