4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 6:34 AM by EPO-Janni

Temporary access problems using EPO dashboard

EPO-Janni

Hi,

we are using EPO 5.1.1 on MS server 2008 R2 with an external SQL server database on MS server 2012 R2. Both systems are hosted on VMWare. We have the problem that sometimes the access to the EPO dashboard console on EPO server is very slow and it takes several minutes till the screen with the dashboard graphics appear. The network speed regarding the two servers is very good (ping below 40ms). Ram and CPU utilization on EPO server and DB are lower than 30 percent. It seems that the access to the EPO database is very slow. I checked the DB connection using  https://EPOSERVER1.domain.net:8443/core/config  successful. Is there any possibility to check the effective connection/utilization from EPO application server accessing the external EPO DB? The DB administrator analyzed that issue and found no problems on SQL DB server regarding EPO DB. Are other reasons possible regarding that temporary access problems using EPO console dashboard?

Thanks.

Regards from Germany

Maik

• 1. Re: Temporary access problems using EPO dashboard
          fitchsoccer342

If your DB is truly being maintained and is in good health, and you have a good high speed connection from the front end to the back end, there should be no issues with ePO pulling the data and displaying it into your front end query dashboard.

Which then goes to the next question, what queries are you trying to display in the dashboard? The queries themself might be the problem if you are trying to pull tons of information from tables all over the DB. I would start by running the queries 1 by 1 outside of the dashboard to see if there might be a single query that is taking forever to gather the data from the DB. Then to go into it further, you could have your DB admin take the SQL from each query and try running it on the backend to analyze and see what specific data retrieval is taking a long time. Put a check-mark in the query, choose Actions > View SQL.

Attached is a DB guide I put together a while ago specifically for the ePO DB. Have your DB admin go through it and see if there is anything of value for him in there to optimize the ePO DB.

• 2. Re: Temporary access problems using EPO dashboard
            EPO-Janni

Hi,

thanks a lot for providing information. As I wrote that Access/runtime issues appear sometimes for about 1-4 hours. All views and operation in EPO console are very slow in that case. It takes also some seconds more to run a single report or query.
            I’m not so familiar with any kind of database administration. But we use an external provider for that services. I’ll forward your documentation to them so that they can check the current maintenance plan. May be they will update some points. And of course I delete all not needed log entries that are older than 3 month regularly.

I hope this hints will solve the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards from Germany

Maik

• 3. Re: Temporary access problems using EPO dashboard
              fitchsoccer342

It sounds like there is definitely an issue with a one of the queries. If I were you, I would take a look at each query from whatever dashboard is taking hours to load and edit them to see what data the query is trying to pull and start shrinking that by more specific data or date ranges.

What ePO version are you using? If you export the dashboard that is taking hours to load, upload it to here and I can see about taking a look at the queries within it.

• 4. Re: Temporary access problems using EPO dashboard
                EPO-Janni

Hi,

we are using EPO version 5.1.1. But as I wrote all queries are slower if that dashboard issue appear. And on my dashboard are 16 queries configured. So it seems that the dashboard delay multiplys with 16 regarding every single delay. Currently all is OK for now.