8 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 1:30 AM by wwarren

Disable AutoUpdate on single client

susja

Hello,

I'm using VirusScan Enterprise 8.8.

It runs in isolated environment and not connected to internet. It's connected only to VLAN.

I did not install ePO neither agent.

It will grab every day a new virus definition file and scan the system.

In Virus Scan Console I have a Task 'AutoUpdate'. It tries to run daily. In my case it's useless.

Question: how in my case I could disable or delete it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
          maxsteel12

As i understand you are not managing this machine from ePO .....Correct ?

• 2. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
            maxsteel12

1)Do right click on auto update.

2) Select Property

3) Click on Schedule

4)un check the enable box

5) Click on apply

Its Done....

• 3. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
              susja

Hello,

Thanks for suggestion.

You are correct. I am not using ePO and I'm not connected to internet. All updates for virus definition file will be done by local installation of xdate.exe

Anyway ... when I tried your suggestion and selected Property ... I've got the error message

Any other ideas? Maybe I could delete some registry key or etc?

ThanksAutoupdate issue.PNG

• 4. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
                aus_mick

VirusScan Enterprise relies on the Framework Service for the AutoUpdate component. I would suggest you re-install the McAfee Agent in an unmanaged mode (`FramePkg.exe /Install=Updater /ForceInstall`) and you should be able to make configuration changes to this component within VSE to disable it.

HTH, Mick

• 5. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
                  susja

Well ... when I installed VirusScan Enterprise on my systems I did not install McAfee Agent on purpose. I don't need it because I don't you ePO and daily viruse definition file will be delivered to each system from one shared place.

Are you suggesting to install McAfee Agent in order to disable AutoUpdate? Then it'll be not re-install but a new install. Should I do it?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
                    aus_mick

The VirusScan Enterprise installation package includes the McAfee Agent. The logic in SetupVSE.exe will install the Agent if it doesn't detect the presence of one already. I don't believe you have a choice to prevent the installation of the Agent as part of the VSE install (refer McAfee KnowledgeBase - FAQs for VirusScan Enterprise 8.x).

Your other option is to re-install VirusScan Enterprise and select custom install. You can then prevent the AutoUpdate feature being installed. I personally haven't attempted this before so I'm not sure what affect it has. I'd be interested to know the outcome if you did attempt this.

$63F334E32573F415.jpg

HTH, Mick

• 7. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
                      susja

Well .. in my case I have a limited privilages to configure the stuff. Anyway ... the only thing that I have is VirusScan Enterprise executable. I start it and it does not provide me any configuration option but just silently install VirusScan Enterprise.

Anyway ... I found a workaround: I installed ePO Agent. After that I was able to disable AutoUpdate Schedule  as you suggested originally. After that I removed 'managed' feature from McAfee Agent hence I don't need and don't use it.

Finally I have AutoUpdae not scheduled.

Thanks for advice.

I'm all set now

• 8. Re: Disable AutoUpdate on single client
                        wwarren

The shortcut method to achieving your goal, of not having any scheduled tasks, is to delete them from the \Task folder.

e.g.

%allusersprofile%\mcafee\Common Framework\Task

Those INI files are task files. Update tasks, ODS tasks, Deployment tasks, are all stored there.

Deleting them means no more tasks, scheduled or otherwise.

In an ePO environment the ePO-created tasks will come right back; but for an unmanaged environment they'll not return until you reschedule the task yourself.