2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2015 7:51 PM by hok

ESM - Creating an alarm based on multiple events using two fields

adidone

Hi.

I'm currently receiving 'virus detected' information from an endpoint protection server. I am trying to create an alarm that triggers when a virus has been detected on the same IP address 3 times in 10 minutes.

Basically I need to match on the same Source_IP as well as signature_ID, across 3 events in the space of 10 minutes.

I currently have an alarm in place that triggers when the same signarure_ID shows 3 times in the space of 10 minutes, but this doesn't meet the criteria of same IP.

I am trying to get my head around the logic.

Is there a way, possibly using watchlists, to use the Source_IP as a variable to match against in separate events, and create an alarm based on signature_ID and the results of the watchlist?

Thanks,
      Andrew.

• 1. Re: ESM - Creating an alarm based on multiple events using two fields
          aa_milo

So I may have a solution for you, even if it isnt the most elegant solution. I have the following setup for a 3 virus' within 2 weeks alert:

2 watchlists - both purge accounts after 14 days.

3 alarms total.

First virus alert hits, inserts into first watchlist. Then a second alarm checks to see if a user is in the first watchlist and if it is adds the computer name (or IP in your case) to the second watchlist. A third alarm checks the second watchlist and first watchlist. If a user is in both watchlists and triggered a virus this alerts, creating a 3 in 2 weeks alert.

• 2. Re: ESM - Creating an alarm based on multiple events using two fields
            hok

Why don't you use Correlation Rule?

I'm currently receiving 'virus detected' information from an endpoint protection server. I am trying to create an alarm that triggers when a virus has been detected on the same IP address 3 times in 10 minutes.

You can define this by Correlation Rule.

Then, you should define "Field Match" alarm referring to the Signature ID of this Correlation Rule.