2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 5:20 PM by aus_mick

Force SuperAgent Lazy Cache to update from Master Repository

aus_mick

I have an issue that has arisen from a recent upgrade from McAfee Agent 4.6 (P3) to 4.8 (P2) with SuperAgent content updates using Lazy Cache. Firstly I don't want to be too critical but Lazy Cache isn't the most well documented feature but I think I've manage to get a handle on it from other discussions here. As I understand that the Lazy Cache "architecture" was changed from MA4.6 to 4.8 whereby SuperAgents were only able to update Lazy Cache content from the Master Repository only. Under MA4.8 SuperAgents can now request content from any other SuperAgent which is what has been problematic for us and caused some SuperAgent to become non-responsive.

I would like to know is it possible to use a McAfee Agent 'Repository' to force a SuperAgent to update Lazy Cache content from the Master Repository, or is this not possible? Any insight or feedback from others who have had issues with Lazy Cache would be greatly appreciated. We'd like to continue to use Lazy Caching as we want to achieve the bandwidth and storage saving benefits that it provides. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Force SuperAgent Lazy Cache to update from Master Repository
          JoeBidgood

Yep, this is possible. The superagent will pull cache content from the repositories it knows about: so if you don't want it to pull from a particular repository, simply assign it a policy where that repo is disabled. Taking that to its conclusion, if you only want it to pull from the master, then disable all repos apart from the master in the policy.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Force SuperAgent Lazy Cache to update from Master Repository
            aus_mick

Thanks for the response Joe. That's what I would expect to happen, but unfortunately I don't have a test environment with multiple SuperAgents so I couldn't test for myself. Unfortunately when I raised a case to Gold support the analyst gave me a one line response that it wasn't possible.

Thanks again.

Mick

Update 01/05/2015 - I have to give the support analyst credit as they contacted me over night realising they had provided incorrect information and have since also confirmed Joe's comments.