7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2015 1:32 PM by wwarren

McAfee creating issues in Aspnet_compiler.exe for Visual studio 2012\2013

priyanka.salunkhe

Hello,

We recently upgraded our applications to latest visual studio and Microsoft framework version. We migrated from .Net 3.5 to 4.5 and from VS 2010 to VS 2012.

I had error in publishing my website in visual studio 2012\2013. I tried all the solutions I found on internet. But what has worked for me is - removing McAfee completely.

I have given this solution by Microsoft technical experts so I guess they have faced calls about this issue more often.

Now I have few assumptions in my mind:

1. McAfee is blocking access to files being compiled

2. McAfee is changing time-stamp of file being compiled creating an endless loop. VS compiles file > McAfee changes time-stamp > VS does not recognize and compiles again... and this continues.

3. Aspnet_compiler.exe of Version 4.0 is not trusted process of McAfee while same process for V2.0 is trusted by McAfee. So in V2.0 or 3.5 we do not face this issue.

Please let me know what exactly is the issue. We are part of big organisation and have various banking clients. We cannot continue our work by removing McAfee. I need a permanent solution.

Files or paths being used during compilation are :

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\?.*

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\?.*

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe

• C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\Temp\?.*

Issue details :

Application is getting compiled successfully but while publishing is ending up with following error:

"
      ASPNETCOMPILER(0,0): Error ASPRUNTIME: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

There are approx. 700 aspx page and 1000 user control and publishing takes approx 6 hours to complete.

COMMAND used: "aspnet_compiler.exe -v /BusinessBanking -p C:\Users\priyanka.salunkhe\AppData\Local\Temp\WebSitePublish\BusinessBanking-65 5256254\obj\Debug\AspnetCompileMerge\Source -u -c -fixednames C:\Users\priyanka.salunkhe\AppData\Local\Temp\WebSitePublish\BusinessBanking-65 5256254\obj\Debug\AspnetCompileMerge\TempBuildDir" is getting executed..

you have tried -f switch with the compiler but that did not help, you have already set the "batch =false" but that too did not help.

when you compiled it with the "-errorstack" you found following call stack:

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyPrecompiledFile(VirtualFile vfile, String destPhysicalPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyStaticFilesRecursive(VirtualDirectory sourceVdir, String destPhysicalDir,

Boolean topLevel)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyStaticFilesRecursive(VirtualDirectory sourceVdir, String destPhysicalDir,

Boolean topLevel)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileAppInternal(VirtualPath startingVirtualDir)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileApp(VirtualPath startingVirtualDir)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManagerHost.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallbac k callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManagerHost.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallbac k callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.ClientBuildManager.PrecompileApplication(ClientBuildMana gerCallback callback, Boolean force

CleanBuild)

at System.Web.Compilation.ClientBuildManager.PrecompileApplication(ClientBuildMana gerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.Precompiler.Main(String[] args)

McAfee product on my machine:

McAfee Agent  Version number: 4.8.0.1500 Managed 

McAfee DLP Endpoint 

Version number: 9.3.200.23

Language: English (United States)

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 

Version number: 8.8.0 (8.8.0.1247)

Build date: 1/15/2014 @

Thanks,

Priyanka