1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2015 12:20 PM by sliedl

When to Upgrade your Firewall

paraspiral

No patches have been installed to my firewall since 21 Jul 2013.  The following was applied 70100, 70101, 70102, 70102HW02. As posted on this forum other people said I was on 7 and yet 8 is the latest version of the Sidewinder OS.

Has any security bulletins come out making their a need for me to upgrade?

What is the latest OS to upgrade to?

How easy is it to upgrade? Will it require me to do it after hours?

Where do I find and download the latest updates for the firewall?

How long will the upgrade put me out of commission (this should be done after hours)?

• 1. Re: When to Upgrade your Firewall
          sliedl

Has any security bulletins come out making their a need for me to upgrade?

• Perhaps there were years ago when 70103 was released (2011).
          • You can sign up for the Support Notification Service (SNS) for future updates.  Read this KB article to learn more:  KB67828.

What is the latest OS to upgrade to?

• 70103H11 is the latest patch for version 7.
          • 8.3.2P06 is the latest patch right now for version 8.
          • You must have the Support feature licensed on the firewall to install patches.

How easy is it to upgrade? Will it require me to do it after hours?
          Where do I find and download the latest updates for the firewall?
          How long will the upgrade put me out of commission (this should be done after hours)?

• To get to 70103H11 you install 70103 and 70103H11.  To upgrade to version 8 takes more time.
          • All patches are available in the GUI under Maintenance -> Software Management.  Click "Check for updates" in the upper-right to download a list of available updates for your version.
          • The patches are also available for direct download on our FTP site.  You do not need to use this site if you use the GUI Software Management screen.
          • The version 7 to version 8 upgrade patch is available on the McAfee Downloads site using your Grant number.

My suggestion to you is to upgrade the firewall to 70103H11.  To do that you install 70103 and 70103H11 and you can install them at the same time.  The firewall will be "down" for as long as it takes to reboot the firewall after the patch installs.