6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 3:28 PM by morph

Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?

morph

I have an installation of ePO 5.1 using a local sql express that ePO installed itself.

What is the correct procedure to backup the installation.

I see that there is an option to do a snapshot but this is done (as far as I understood) in the database (the snapshot is kept inside the database).

Is this enough as a backup or should I also backup some local folders as mentioned in some articles? How can I export this and keep it outside of the server (on a different location)?

Regards.

• 1. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
          JoeBidgood

You should be fine with just the DB backup. The correct process is to run the ePO snapshot task, which writes the necessary files to the database, and then back up the database. As long as you have this backup (and you know the admin password and the snapshot passphrase) then you can restore ePO. You can back up the filesystem as well if you wish - some people do - but it's not strictly necessary.

The most important thing to remember though is that the DB and its snapshot must match in time as closely as possible. What you should avoid is running a snapshot, then (for example) checking in a new extension, and then taking the backup. In that situation the information in the DB would not match the filesystem in the snapshot, and restoring would be difficult or potentially impossible.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
            jhall2

In the event that the ePO server or SQL database is lost or damaged, I recommend taking backups of the SQL server and of the ePO file structure. This process is outlined in KB66616.

• 3. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
              JoeBidgood

This doesn't really apply in an ePO 5 environment, though. If you're able to back up the DB as per KB66616, then you're able to back up a DB with a snapshot in it. The only time you might need the full 66616 set is if you're unable to successfully complete a snapshot task.

HTH -

Joe

• 4. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
                morph

Thank you Joe.

You mention a "snapshot passphrase". What is the snapshot passphrase? When I'm creating a snapshot I'm not asked for a passphrase.

Regards.

• 5. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
                  JoeBidgood

When you installed ePO 5, you would have been asked to specify a passphrase, but it can be easy to miss. It can also be configured from the server settings page, under "Disaster Recovery." If you're not sure what it is then I would strongly suggest you change it here, and then run another snapshot. The new passphrase will be used for all future snapshots.

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Correct procedure to backup ePO 5.1?
                    morph

Thank you very much Joe!