3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2015 2:02 AM by g33k2303

VSE 8.8 Patch 4 and Windows XP SP3 and Windows Server 2003 R2

g33k2303

Good day everybody,

I started to see a pretty weird behavior of the Current VSE 8.8 Patch 4 in combination with Windows XP SP3 and Windows Server 2003 R2.

Background:

The systems were running with VSE 8.7 latest patch and were upgraded to VSE 8.8 patch 4 (8.7 was uninstalled before 8.8 was installed). The systems were running pretty smooth for quite a while and suddenly some of the machines started to lose the network connection. From the outside, the PC was running normally. No error message or anything was reported to the screen or the server. No buffer overflow or anything else.

When I started to ping those machines, they were reachable from the outside. I then went to the clients and try to see, if they still got a network address and typed in the cmd: ipconfig.

I got an error message saying, that ipconfig was not a valid command. So I restarted the machine and everything was working normally again after.

I have then waited about a month and got the EVENT-ID 2019 - SRV:

The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty.

I have seen that when this error first comes up, you will have about 5 days where the system is working.

My suggestion is, that the there must be a buffer overflow on XP SP3 and Server 2003 R2 systems only, which is not reported to the server and not recognized by McAfee. After this overflow is active, it destroys the network layer in a way, that it does not communicate with the DHCP Server anymore and goes in later progress to the system commands like "ipconfig" or "ping", which are also disabled.

Is there anybody outta there, which have seen something like this before and can give me some hints on how to solve that?

Greetings