7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2015 8:06 AM by bretzeli

How to Block SD cards on laptos

damarro

Hi guys,

I want some help with this issue , im trying to block SD cards on laptos , how i can doit

already try  with , Portable media device , mass storege ,  and am using dlp 9.3

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
          epository

Use Compatible ID

Compatible ID

RIMMPTSK\Disk_SD

SD\CLASS_STORAGE

SCSI\Disk

And, of course, test......

Let me know if this worked for you..

• 2. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
            damarro

Thanks for your answer,

i try with the compatible ID but it doest work, mmm my sd card shows a diferent Compatible id  wpdbusenum\fs

i alredy try withis  but its the same case , still showing the SD card

any other idea my friend ?

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
              epository

In my environment, I have seen some things like Micro SD cards in an adapter mount as USB storage....I think this is because the SD port is wired into the internal USB hub on the motherboard.

Can you grab and excerpt out of your setupapi.dev.log file to show what is being detected.

It looks like it is coming in as a Windows Portable Device...but this may be the SD card reader you are seeing and not the card itself.

And that may actually be a good option to just block the reader itself.

Trying to Block Internal SD Card Reader

• 4. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos

Use the File System Access Type parameter in the Removable Storage Device Definition. Choose Read-Write.

Understand that this will trigger the rule for any device that identifies itself to the OS as capable of Read and Write including CD/DVDs (MTP is not Removable Storage and will not trigger based on this parameter)

• 5. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
                  epository

Have you had any luck with this?

• 6. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
                    damarro

Hi, Thanks for your answers,

Vimalnavis

Thanks it could be a partial solution i going to try it

Epository,

Well i try with the id, and the log , actually McAfee  read the SD card as Windows Portable Device  but unfortunately,

the McAfee shows up saying thtat  windows portable device has bee block but secons later  the users are able to use the SD  card

what i didn't try is blocking the Hub Ports, i gonna do it today and i going  to let you know if it works , becasue actually alll the policys that i tryed faield , mmm  even with the ID  GUI,  Compatible ID

Thanks again for the follow up

Regards,

• 7. Re: How to Block SD cards on laptos
                      bretzeli

"Understand that this will trigger the rule for any device that identifies itself to the OS as capable of Read and Write including CD/DVDs (MTP is not Removable Storage and will not trigger based on this parameter)"

Yes BUT then how will you knopw WHO tried or it was JUST a refresh of the OS or Power Standby.

Lets say you are in monitoring Project mode where you want to know what employee us all over?