What version of Mcafee is this and what is the operating system?
Do you have any other security software installed or installed previously that was not removed using its own removal tools?
You have not got a scan running at the same time?
Moved to General Discussion> Discussions By Moderator
Please let know if said process is consuming too much of CPU. You may check the below items and post back
1. Was a McAfee Scan Running in the Background
2. Are there any other AV Engines installed on your PC / Traces present?
3. Is McAfee up to date - You may check date of last successful update.
4. Is your Windows Up to date?
1. Not running a scan. It happens mostly when I'm playing a particular game. In fact, McAfee can run a virus scan without affecting my PC performance in any noticable way, even when I'm playing.
2. No other AV ever installed on this PC.
3. Last update was 20 minutes ago, next will be in 5 hours. McAfee is always up to date.
4. Last time Windows checked for updates was also 20 minutes ago, and like McAfee, Windows is always up to date.
My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits. I don't know how to look up the version of McAfee Total Protection, sorry.
To obtain the Version you are running,simply Double-Left click on your McAfee Icon in the lower Task Bar Tray, by the clock. Then click on 'About"
For a 'Step by Step' Guide/Tutorial on all of your Features and how to use them. Click on 'Help', then 'Help" again, then a Window should open with all the information. (It takes a few moments to load)
McAfee Community Moderator
There are several items listed, each one with a version number:
Antivirus and Antispyware: 18.0
Personal Firewall: 15.0
Parental Controls: 16.0
File Lock: 5.0
QuickClean and Shredder: 14.0
Vulnerability Scanner: 4.0
Also is your Windows 7 totally up to date, i.e. SP1 and, whether or not you use it, including IE11 (McAfee uses it regardless of default browser settings) ?
Yes, Windows has SP1 installed, and is fully up to date, including IE.