7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 2:34 AM by Peacekeeper

Scheduled scan running for days

currimundi

I have a HP Pavillion laptop,  windows 8.1 64bit,  [ using Internet security  ] the scheduled scan has been  running for over 4 days, the task bar icon box says it is at 99%  but never goes further,  my cpu is heated and the cooling fan is roaring,  cannot find a way to stop it ,  the disk has 282GB used,   it is always very slow,  but this time it is crazy,   any help would be appreciated. 

John

• 1. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
          Peacekeeper

Try this workaround the fix is in version 14.0.207 available to some locals but the fix here should help

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS102052

Usually hung on Scanning rootkit ( actualy means scanning for rootkit). Try the fix and post back. Also set to not use minimal resources.

I assume there are no bad sectors on the disc?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
            catdaddy

Moved to Virus and Spyware Protection > Virus Scan > Discussions  By Moderator

• 3. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
              catdaddy

currimundi,

Just a Footnote; The FAQ that Colleague Peacekeeper suggested should resolve your 'Hanging @ 99% issue' By you stating that it is (Always slow) Could also mean a lot of other variables contributing to your degradation of performance.

First and foremost make certain you are Up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-Ons/and Internet Explorer. Even should you not use it as your 'Default' Browser. McAfee and other important Programs do in order to function properly.

In regards to Add-Ons especially Adobe Flash Player, as it had (3) separate emergency Updates/Patches for vulnerabilities in the last month alone. The most recent Version being (16.0.0.305) if installing manually please exclude any undesirable 'Optional Offers'

As PK wisely mentioned, have your settings set to use 'Minimal Resources"

Under General Settings and Alerts have your settings to 'Wait until my PC is idle to run scheduled tasks like Scheduled scans/Automatic Updates/and Quick Clean'

Performing maintenance such as Windows Disk Clean Utility, and making certain you do not have an excessive amount of Emails in your inbox helps as well. Removing any unnecessary Add-Ons/Programs/Tool Bars will enhance your systems performance as well.

Minus any preexisting remnants of prior Security Software, and barring any Malware being on board contributes to better performance.

You might also include running the Latest MVT to check for any issues ;http://mvt.mcafee.com/mvt/en-us/downloadindex.html

Just thought I would add that....

All the very Best

Catdaddy

• 4. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
                currimundi

Thank you catdaddy,  I have done what the link wanted so I will wait for the next scheduled scan to see if it worked,    I appreciate your kind reply and helpful advice.

cheers  John

• 5. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
                  currimundi

Thank you peacekeeper,   I appreciate your helpful tip,  will do..       cheers   John  

• 6. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
                    catdaddy

currimundi,

You are more than welcome   Hope that all is okay moving forward.

All the Best

Regards,

CD

• 7. Re: Scheduled scan running for days
                      Peacekeeper

Also in case you did not know to get the scan to start on time go to navigation General settings and Alerts and General settings and unselected the option to wait till PC idle.