3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 5:59 AM by Laszlo G

Failed to upgrade 9.3.2 to 9.4.2

Laszlo G

Hi all, I've just been trying to upgrade an all-in-one box from 9.3.2 to 9.4.2 using the ESSREC_Update_9.4.2.signed.tgz package but this haven't done anything.

The package was already uploaded to the appliance about 2 weeks ago, after applying the new version the appliance has rebooted and we have had to wait for the tables te be rebuilbed but after login in again the version remains on 9.3.2

I've been tried to have a look at the /var/log/messages file, haven't been able to download it but some of its lines are as follows:

NGCPRebuild Started

Feb 17 08:20:10 McAfee [3468]: Opened database  - /db2/usr/local/ess/data/ngcp.dflNEW -  system number  -          1

Feb 17 08:20:10 McAfee [3468]: Opened database  - /db2/usr/local/ess/data/ngcp.dfl -  system number  -          1

Feb 17 08:20:10 McAfee [3468]: Rebuilding 9.3.2 to 9.3.2

Feb 17 08:20:10 McAfee [3468]: Opened database  - /db2/usr/local/ess/data/ngcp.old -  system number  -          1

Does anyone know why it hasn't upgraded to 9.4.2? Could it be that it has tried to upgraded it and reverted to previous version for some trouble?

• 1. Re: Failed to upgrade 9.3.2 to 9.4.2
          aszotek

Hi Laszlo,

Few obvious questions:

- are you sure you are using the correct package? ESSREC package is meant for ESM/Receiver bundle (?)

- have you verified checksum of downloaded package (on the box to be upgraded)?

• 2. Re: Failed to upgrade 9.3.2 to 9.4.2
            robert_dearbytes

If you indeed have all in one box, the esserc package is the correct one.

Make sure to check that the filename was not changed on the ESM when the file was uploaded. The upgrade procedure checks for the specific filename of the tgz. If it was changed in any way, the upgrade will fail.

Edit: Also check this KB article: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79275&actp=RSS

• 3. Re: Failed to upgrade 9.3.2 to 9.4.2
              Laszlo G

Hi Aszotek and Robert.

The problem was a mix of all the above, first of all the file name was changed by the sys admin when uploaded and also the TGZ file was blocked by Windows when downloaded. Clicking on the file and unblocking the tgz before uploading it again looks like it did the trick.

I d0n't really know how the unblock function works but maybe it modifies the MD5 or something similar? I know this can cause trouble on Windows but I thought that on a Linux box it wouldn't do anything.

Anyways, after upgrading to 9.4.2, enabling the ELM service and rolling out the policy everything finally works fine.

Thanks all for your help!