5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 11:25 AM by Peter M

Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?

majesticindigo

I am having problems with McAfee staying connected to my computer. I have had to reinstall my Total Protection at least five times within the past five days. At one point today I had the manage subscriptions eliminate My computer from its system. I have talked to techs and can supply service numbers to anyone at  McAfee that cares. The Overview in the Manage Subscriptions states that my computer has no updates because it is not connected online. The tech explained that this would be corrected in ninety days. I have had my subscription for over ninety days. The explanation does not make sense, especially considering the Host:McAfee disconnections when trying to establish a security link from my computer to McAfee. About a week ago I couldn't even get my computer connected to the anti-virus and anti-spyware in the McAfee systems. When I chatted with a McAfee tech they destroyed my ie browser and I had to go to AT&T support plus to fix the problem. I don't know what the problem is, but when I scanned my security and performance through AT&T, yet again, there were problems with my browser and removing cache information as of the security issues aren't being addressed by McAfee. This security center issue keeps happening on nearly every scan I do by AT&T support scans. I don't think that McAfee is truly dealing with the issue of connections from their server to my computer. I think this is a virus of some sort and I am not a technician, but I am intelligent enough to know when I am having my computer altered in some way. I sent an email to the virus_research@mcafee.com and a auto-reply message was sent back. Somehow when I was trying to send it back again with the correct subject line the email was eliminated from both the sent and the trash folders, so I am asking for help here and for answers.

The second issue is an email scam. I was sent an email in January 2015 stating that my McAfee subscription was about to run out and when I linked to the site it said there would be an email stating when my McAfee subscription was about to expire. I couldn't find this information either in an email or on my Total Protection when I looked for it. Actually, I was having trouble connecting to the McAfee website, again, altogether. I couldn't find this information anywhere. Afraid my subscription was about to expire I paid the $79.00 through PayPal and it was to a John Demoro. I know it was foolish in retrospect, but I couldn't prove as I knew that my subscription to McAfee was not about to expire so I went along with this scam and paid the $79.00. A few days later when I tried to log in to McAfee my email was no longer valid. I had chatted to and spoke to two people to get this corrected. I contacted PayPal and filed a complaint. Within twenty-four hours I received a refund as John Demoro was unverified and did not refuse the refund. Rather annoying, isn't it? I am certain that McAfee employees would never participate in this sort of scam, but I'm going to be quite grateful if they are willing to prove their truthfullness.

• 1. Re: Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?
          Peacekeeper

Post the job number here and I will escalate this to our resident tech here (Tier 2.5)

I assume your McAfee is bought through a subscription or through AT&T?

I would also do a few scans from the scanners listed here in case somewhere along the line you got more malware.

Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

• 2. Re: Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?
            Peter M

I moved this to the General help section as a better spot.

Peter

• 3. Re: Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?
              Peter M

Good policy is never to use email with support, always phone or chat online and McAfee's is always available via http://service.mcafee.com/

You can also access your account online from there by clicking the "McAee.com Online" link at the top.

These are also available by right-clicking your taskbar icon once the software is installed.

• 4. Re: Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?
                majesticindigo

I have to say that the chat option is now a frustrating one. I just used AT&T Support Plus and the technician created a User Account Control and took over access of my entire computer. I am quite wary to hear how much access McAfee will have if I use the online chat option. I tried to use the phone option, but must say I couldn't get it to be available. I wrote quite a lengthy comment about my troubles with McAfee and obviously a bit about AT&T since these two companies are collaborating--I have downloaded the McAfee enhancement on my AT&T Support Plus security software. I hope things change soon. I really hate changing companies and software. I'd rather see improvements, but there must be improvement.

• 5. Re: Is anyone else having this security and scam issues with McAfee?
                  Peter M

majesticindigo wrote:

I have to say that the chat option is now a frustrating one. I just used AT&T Support Plus and the technician created a User Account Control and took over access of my entire computer. I am quite wary to hear how much access McAfee will have if I use the online chat option. I tried to use the phone option, but must say I couldn't get it to be available. I wrote quite a lengthy comment about my troubles with McAfee and obviously a bit about AT&T since these two companies are collaborating--I have downloaded the McAfee enhancement on my AT&T Support Plus security software. I hope things change soon. I really hate changing companies and software. I'd rather see improvements, but there must be improvement.

McAfee Technical Support and AT&T Support are two totally separate companies and one has no control over the other or responsibility for the other.  If your software comes via AT&T and they insist you must deal with them, then poor service there can't be blamed on McAfee and vice-versa.

If however you deal directly with McAfee Support at http://service.mcafee.com/ then that is McAfee's responsibility.   That support function is totally trustworthy.  If they need to troubleshoot an issue, you would have to allow them access to your machine.  They do not look at your personal files, only the software.  If they can't at first fix things then you may ask them to escalate it to a higher level.

All it involves is installing the GoToAssist software, which you can easily uninstall once all the support people are completely finished.

I've had them access my machine in the past and it has all been very efficient and expertly done.