4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2015 1:03 PM by mike18

Upgrading to Version 8.3.2P06

mike18

Hi Everyone,

Need to know if i need to upgrade Enterprise firewall from version 8.30  to 8.3.2P06.

Can i do straight upgrade ?

Do i need to reboot firewall after upgrade?

During upgrade will it allow traffic to pass?

Will any config will change with this upgrade.

Regards

Mike

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Version 8.3.2P06
          vkleineh

Hi Mike,

Can i do straight upgrade ? No

Do i need to reboot firewall after upgrade? Yes, several times (after each update step)

During upgrade will it allow traffic to pass?  Yes, until the reboot

Will any config will change with this upgrade. Changes might be needed due to updates in policy validation. See the release notes.

In summary: You should have a maintenance window for this.

Please take a look at the release notes for each version, you can find them from the knowledge center:

Service Portal Home

The upgrade path will be:

8.3.0 > 8.3.1 > 8.3.2 > 8.3.2P03 > 8.3.2P06

Here some links to the release notes:

Firewall Enterprise 8.3.1 Release Notes

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24377

Page 12 and following:

Upgrade a firewall to version 8.3.1

• Your firewall must be at version 8.3.0 to upgrade to version 8.3.1.

Firewall Enterprise 8.3.2 Release Notes

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24699

Page 12 and following:

Upgrade a firewall

Before you begin

• Your firewall must be at version 8.3.1.

Firewall Enterprise 8.3.2P03 Release Notes (PD25205)

https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=PD25205

Firewall Enterprise 8.3.2P06 Release Notes

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD25666

Page 6:

To bring your firewall to version 8.3.2P06, follow the patch installation process appropriate for your

environment.

Before you begin The firewall must be at version 8.3.2P03.

- Volker

• 2. Re: Upgrading to Version 8.3.2P06
            mike18

Hi Volker,

Thanks for explaining me in detail.

Can you please tell me one more thing first i download the software from MCafee website  to hard disk in firewall right?

Then whem i install it does it gets installed in flash memory?

How can i check the free disk space from CLI ?

Regards

Mike

• 3. Re: Upgrading to Version 8.3.2P06
              PhilM

Mike -

Upgrades are downloaded and applied via the Firewall Administration console (or using the 'cf package' commands from the command line).

You need to make sure that the Firewall's maintenance license is valid. If it has expired then the process will not work. If you go to Maintenance -> Software Management and click on the "Check for updates" button, the Firewall will establish a connection with the McAfee download repository and will then display a list of all qualifying packages in the main body of the GUI. Note - you will only see those updates relevant to your current base version. So, if you are currently at 8.3.0 you will not see any 8.3.2 packages. Once you have upgraded to 8.3.1, repeat the "check for updates" process and the GUI will display a new list of packages. When you get to 8.3.2, and you check again then the 8.3.2P06 package should appear in the list.

Volker has given you the upgrade path in his response. I admit, I was always advised to upgrade to the latest patch version of the base release before moving to the next version increment, but Volker has indicated that if you are on 8.3.0 you can go straight to 8.3.1 and then on to 8.3.2 before then applying 8.3.2P06.

This process is covered in the manual, but higlight the package in the list and click the "download" button. Once downloaded you will then be able to install the package.

It is always advisable to take a configuration backup first. Backups are version specific, so each time you apply a new package take a fresh backup and keep a copy on your local workstation just in case. Then if something goes disastrously wrong you can take the original installation media, re-image the appliance, upgrade to the correct patch level and then restore the backup. However, the Firewall software is stored on two separate disk partitions. Upgrades are applied to the dormant partition and then the firewall re-boots to this slice (effectively making the orginal live slice the dormant one). If for any reason the upgrade process fails to complete, the system sticks with the existing partition leaving you exactly where you were before you tried to perform the upgrade.

-Phil.

• 4. Re: Upgrading to Version 8.3.2P06
                mike18

Many thanks Phil

Regards

Mike