1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 8:59 PM by Hayton

Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?

hbk896

Hi,

I've been a mcafee user for a long time. I've had my laptop for nearly 2 years and I use it very regularly. I know my round the internet and know what to do/ what not to do. I'm pretty sure there aren't any viruses. In the past 2 years, now and then I have this problem where Mcafee does not open and there's no internet connection on spotify which automatically opens. I've learnt various solutions to fix it such as disabling the bonjour service, re-installing mcafee, doing a different lenovo scan but usually it takes a day or two for my computer going back to normal and then I do a full scan.

However, this time it's very different. Spotify works fine and I can go onto any song and can search anything bare in mind I have 5 bars of my wifi connection and I always do when I have a problem. But also, McAfee works and I have run the quick scan and full scan but it hasn't picked up anything. Also, on Google chrome it won't load any website and it is pretty slow and turns unresponsive and slow. On Internet Explorer, the websites work but they are taking ages to load and are very slow. Unusually, the virtual technician does not work. For my problem mentioned in the previous paragraph it would work and sometimes identify problems and fix them. But on this occasion and in this problem, the virtual technician is stuck on the page where it says it's updating itself, I've left it for hours and done it on a few occasions but it won't proceed to the next screen. So, I uninstalled it and re installed it through IE and it won't install. For more than an hour, it says "installing McAfee Virtual Technician". I don't really know how to proceed as it's the first time this has happened to me. Any advice and recommendations? All help appreciated and I will reply asap.

• 1. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
          catdaddy

Moved to General Discussion > Discussions By Moderator

hbk896,

I assume that you are up to date with all Windows updates/Add-Ons to include Internet Explorer. Also make certain no other Security Software is installed with an On access Scanner running. You may try using some of the Superb Free Tools for a second opinion, and rule out any Malware/Adware/Pups.  Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

I would try Running the McAfee Getsusp Tool first, and see if it detects any suspicious/unknown programs on your system. Please rememeber to add your Email address under "Preferences" before scanning.

I would then run Malwarebytes (Free) To keep it Free, follow the instructions just before downloading/Installing. I would follow up with AdwCleaner.

Please kindly post back if this helps to resolve your issues.

Of course if all suggestions fail to resolve your issues, you can always contact Technical Support 24/7 Free via Phone/Chat being much quicker.

Having said that,it would be best to make certain you have no Malware on-board before electing to do that.

Services and Support for Home and Office

Also as cautious as we may be in regards to surfing the Internet,you may find these two articles most informative:

PUPs - Potentially Unwanted Programs - Basics

In addition I hope that you have not been using any "Registry Cleaners" other than the Windows Disk Clean/Or McAfee Quick Clean. Even then I would leave the Registry Option unchecked. For in the majority of cases, eventually using them will remove Core components/processes needed by both Windows and McAfee.

Causing more harm than Good....

All the very best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

• 2. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
            hbk896

Hi, I've done the getsusp tool and downloaded malware tool and ran the malwarebytes tool. It found 20 items which I quarinted, I restarted computer as adviced and still the same problem. Not sure how to proceed.

• 3. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
              catdaddy

Try removing the Items from Quarantine and deleting and restarting.After deleting the malware found, try running the MVT again, and see if it will Download/Install/run this time.

If that does not Resolve the issue, then I would try a Clean/Uninstall following these Guidelines/Instructions:How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool  Short of contacting Support.

Also in addition, keeping excessive number of emails in your inbox could cause excessive performance issues. I recommend to place them in a separate sub-folder.

• 4. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
                Peter M

In your first post you stated "doing a different lenovo scan" - not sure what that meant?

Is Windows totally up to date, INCLUDING Internet Explorer (you don't have to have it set as your default browser, but McAfee needs it to function).?

If you get a clean result from a further scan I would then proceed to Technical Support as they can diagnose what's going on, if you will allow them a connection when asked.

Toronto ▪ Canada
                Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
                I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
                Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
                Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 5. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
                  hbk896

Yes, I have done the Lenovo scan too. It's an hardware scan and it won't let me go on the support page. What can I do now? @ex_brit

• 6. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
                    hbk896

Nope installing MVT is not working. Is it not dangerous if I remove Mcafee products. What happens if I can't reinstall them? catdaddy

• 7. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
                      Peter M

It sounds to me like you have some sort of malware that we haven't caught yet.  Is it possible to go back to before all this started by initiating System Restore?

If necessary reboot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly while booting up and select Safe Mode from the boot options menu that presents itself) and start System Restore there.

Excerpt from the last link in my post above:

Once you have rebooted into Safe Mode (this will take a while longer than a regular boot into Windows), you can use System Restore. There are a variety of ways to access System Restore:

1. Click on Start, Programs, System Tools, System Restore.  (in some OS's Accessories/System Tools)

2. Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, Help and Support, Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.

3. Click on Start, Run (or click the Windows key + R) and then type restore or rstrui in the dialogue box and click on Run when you see System Restore as an option above or click on restrui.exe if you see this file.

There are other ways to access System Restore which you can find on the Internet.

Follow the on-screen directions for restoring your system to an earlier point in time. Windows creates Restore checkpoints at regular intervals and you should be able to select one. (You may also create your own but do this only when your system is operating normally, i.e. clean.)  You must go back to a date and time that was before the infection. This is a critical point in removing the malware or virus. It may be necessary to check "Choose a different restore point" in order to be able to choose an earlier date. Note that any programs you may have installed after that date may be uninstalled. However, you can always re-install them.

Another important point to remember when using System Restore is to not interrupt the process or attempt to do anything else on your computer while it is working. System Restore can take a long time, especially when operating in Safe Mode. Not allowing System Restore to complete properly will likely corrupt your system registry and you will probably have to reinstall Windows as a new install, which will also require reformatting and losing all your data.

This is, by far, the easiest way to remove malware and viruses from your computer.

If successful make sure you update Windows and McAfee afterwards.

• 9. Re: Can't go on any websites on Chrome, IE works but very slow. Can't install the Virtual Technician?
                        catdaddy

hbk896,

Sorry for the delayed response, however there are occasions that we Volunteers are unavailable. And this afternoon was indeed one of those .And fortunately we have very capable Colleagues whom step in and fill the void, amongst the other duties involved.

I see that Ex_Brit has done just that. To quickly answer your question in regards to Uninstalling your McAfee Products. You basically are at no risk for Windows Firewall will automatically enable, and the sites in which you will be accessing are safe.

Simply follow the Guidelines/Instructions that was inserted. I have to say I am inclined to agree with Peter, that you seem to still have some remaining Malware onboard. Kindly follow his instructions, and see if it resolves your issues. It is indeed one of the best measures to take, when others do not solve the problem.

Having said that, I have basically suggested all I can possibly advise you to do, without Information overload. I will leave you in the Knowledgeable hands of Ex_Brit.

All the very best,

Catdaddy

1 2 Previous Next