1 2 3 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 2:43 PM by Peacekeeper

Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?

h89

Hello,

This is the second problem I've had with LiveSafe in two weeks and it's just a bit annoying. Now this is a different problem than last week so here is the problem:

I cant open LiveSafe at all, and when I look at the bottom of my screen I see that the Mcafee icon (near the time, volume etc) is saying that it's checking for updates. Now I have updates on automatically so it does this quite alot however this time it is stuck and now like I said I cant open Mcafee Livesafe at all. What should be the first thing I do to try and correct this problem?

If need be I will call LiveSafe technial support again like I did last week, but I would much rather not and just solve this issue on my own.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
          Peter M

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can fix whatever it is, probably a bad update download. http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If no help then follow the uninstall.cleanup and reinstall routine here:  How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Make sure Windows is totally up to date, including Internet Explorer, even if you never use it, McAfee does.

If you are in the habit of running registry cleaners, stop as they are often the cause of this kind of problem.

• 2. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
            ispalten

Wow, SAME EXACT problem started a few days ago!

History:

• Systray icon can't show status is how I found the problem
            • RMB does nothing
            • Double clicking doesn't open it.
            • Virtual Technician will NOT run, keeps trying to install?
            • Trying to reboot I set the Vulnerability Scanner is installing updates.
            • Let it continue for hours, never does an update?

Used CHAT:

• Feb 6th (Friday)
            • Agent did and uninstalling the prescribed method, re-installed, was working.
            • Feb 8th (Sunday)
            • Discovered problem was back.
            • Agent tried a few things, could NOT make it work and since it was re-install the other day tried some other stuff
            • Passed off to a escalation agent. He tried a bunch of things.
            • Got it working by deleting a Registry entry.
            • Feb 9th (today)
            • Problem was back BUT if I wait long enough (went out for 3 hrs) it was working again.
            • Ran Virt. Tech and it showed a Registry error

Expected Registry Value not Present

Expected : 1

Existing : 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\MCSHIELDGLOBAL\GLOBAL usebootdats

• Got and chat and agent tried a bunch of things.
            • Passed me off to an escalation agent but they were busy, might be called back tomorrow?

Rebooted and everything as usual seems to be working. Somehow it will hang though.

Right now Vulnerability Scanner is SET to NOT RUN but it does anyway.

Here is the root problem I think? It finds 4 apps that need to be updated. However they DO NOT, they are already at the level to be updated?

2015-02-09 18_19_13-Program Manager.jpg

All 4 apps are up to date, but VS keeps trying to update them, EVEN with the Scanner set off!

It must have come in with a recent update? Looking at ABOUT it seems the VS was updated on 2/7/15? My problem (that is at least when I found it) started the day before?

• 3. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
              Peter M

Try completely uninstalling. cleanup and reinstall as per: How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool  (Note that this may involve 2 reboots).

I have to ask, have you been running registry cleaners or optimizers?  If so stop as this is often the result.

Also check for malware/adware by running AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free, both listed in the last link below.  Note the instructions there on keeping Malwarebytes actually free of charge.

Try doing that before the next contact with Support.

Toronto ▪ Canada
              Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
              I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
              Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
              Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 4. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                ispalten

I saw your answer to the OP and on my 1st Chat with Support that is EXACTLY what they did.

Ex_Brit wrote:

I have to ask, have you been running registry cleaners or optimizers?  If so stop as this is often the result.

Also check for malware/adware by running AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free, both listed in the last link below.  Note the instructions there on keeping Malwarebytes actually free of charge.

No, I don't as I know the problems they can cause.

I have run BOTH AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes. Not one instance of anything found. I've also run HiJackHunter, nothing?

Each time Virt. Tech. is run it finds that same Registry problem it appears?

I'm one Win8.1 if that matters?

Tech also ran SFC /SCANNOW and no problems found.

I now have another 'instance' of a problem it causes that I discovered. It seems this 'trying to update' by the Vulnerability Scanner kicks off sometimes after boot. I can't find how though? It is CLEARLY set NOT to run and even the Tech's see this? Now I have a problem IF I try to open the Systray icon and it doesn't. Thunderbird (latest version) can NOT connect to my ISP's POP3 server and hangs. At that point the ONLY way out of this seems to be to re-boot. Half the time I see the 'restarting' screen saying the Vulnerability Scanner is updating files and do I want to cancel to reboot or reboot. Like I said, I've waited overnight on that screen and it never finishes. Once I've rebooted McAfee's Systray icon works as does Virt. Tech. and Thunderbird, at least until I try to open McAfee and I can't again.

ANNOYING to say the least.

The fact that at least 2 of us hit this recently should indicate a problem, that is unless WE both did something odd to cause this?

At first I thought this problem was caused by a GIVEAWAY OF THE DAY program, Loaris (Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily – Loaris Trojan Remover 1.3.6.4), which I installed and ran. Program found way too many 'false positives' and I did NOT remove any. Program is 'not complete' as you can't select individual items to process, it is all or none. I did NOT quarantine or move anything. I then went and uninstalled the program. This was done on 2/6/2015. It was shortly after this I discovered the problem with McAfee. That said, even if this program damaged something related to McAfee, the delete, clean, and reinstall should have taken care of any problems done by that program and uninstalling it, no?

Now if I knew the TASK or PROCESS that is causing Vuln. Scan. to run if I killed that I might not have to reboot but not sure?

Can you 'explain' why the scanner when run manually ALWAYS finds these SAME 4 apps needing to be updated? Almost like it is reading a file or stored info from another time? It also doesn't think the files are up to date when they clearly are? Not sure if this is a different problem or just a different manifestation of the same problem?

• 5. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                  Peter M

Well, good for support trying that at least and good for you for avoiding registry cleaners, but I would encourage you to also avoid that Trojan Remover as I've never even heard of it before.

The only tools I will recommend are all in that last link above.

I cannot explain the bizarre MVS behaviour except to say we did have instances of it finding incorrect Java updates but that was suppoi9sed to have been fixed through a recent update.

Do you by any chance get your McAfee from your ISP or another 3rd party provider?  That could explain an older version perhaps.

When you open SecurityCenter and click About, what version is SecurityCenter?

• 6. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                    Peter M

Another 2 questions, I assume that your System Clock is accurate, time and timezone-wise?

Also is Internet Explorer version 11 (you don't have to be using it ever but it must be up to date).

• 7. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                      h89

Just a update on my situation. When I asked for help the other day I did as was suggested checked that Windows and Internet Explorer was up to date and they where. I decided to uninstall and reinstall LiveSafe and that didn't work so did the uninstall and reinstall again and then it seemed to work. Great I thought and it's been that way for three days now.

However tonight its gone back to the same exact problem I had.

Like I said for three days it was fine, even ran a full scan this morning a worked great, no problems, now earlier tonight I turned on my computer everything seemed fine. Went to open up LiveSafe however like I stated in my original post and couldn't, tried a few different ways just to open up LiveSafe to a point where I could get to the LiveSafe home panel (the part where it has the four large squares) nothing. While I was trying to do this I noticed that the McAfee icon near my clock showed that it was checking for updates and has been that way for some time now.

When I click on task manager to see if McAfee firewall etc is running it is. I check on the action center and it says that McAfee firewall is on, anti virus, anti spam etc is on just like the task manager also said so, but again for whatever reason LiveSafe will not open. Also McAfee security scan plus wont open and it wont allow me to run McAfee Virtual Technican. It seems that all McAfee products that I have installed wont open but according to task manager and action center they are running.

Now to be clear Windows is up to date, Internet Explorer is up to date, I dont run registry cleaners or optimisers. From the time LiveSafe was working this morning and the past two days I haven't changed or done anything that would warrant it to stop working AGAIN! And honestly I dont feel like installing and unistalling LiveSafe every three days just so it works.

This is getting to a point now where I spend more time trying to fix LiveSafe than it actually working the way it is suppose to.

I'm sorry if I've come across as aggresive and I would appreciate your help but it really is frustrating.

• 8. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                        h89

Forgot to mention that I too am using Windows 8.1

• 9. Re: Mcafee LiveSafe stuck on checking for updates. What to do?
                          Peter M

If McAfee Security Scan Plus listed in your programs list, uninstall it immediately as that could easily be causing all this trouble.

It is not part of your security software but a sales tool that checks if you need security software.  It arrives often unnoticed as an optional download with Adobe products, Flash, Shockwave, reader etc.

Always monitor updates and installations, not just from Adobe, but ANY updates or installations for those optional extras you don't want or need.  I've noticed many other software makers employ the same 'gimmicks' and personally I find them a nuisance, but tell that to a seemingly deaf sales department.

1 2 3 Previous Next