1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 4:23 PM by catdaddy

Unwanted Mcafee page

scouser

Whilst browsing in chrome, a whole page advertising mcafee pops up, over what i am doing. It's really annoying, and sometimes when I close the tab, the page I was on is not there anymore- frustrating if I happen to have been typing something. How do I stop this unwanted page appearing.

• 1. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
          catdaddy

scouser,

Could you please provide a screenshot of the Ads that are being displayed? I have not seen such in my daily computing. However my Browser of choice is Internet Explorer 11. Is this the only Ads popping up, or others as well? I have heard of occasional McAfee Prompts,in regards to your subscription renewal. However, not one that would cover the whole page?

Could this possibly be Site Advisor Appearing while surfing?

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions By Moderator

Thank you in Advance

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

• 2. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
            catdaddy

It may very well be that you have inadvertently picked up some Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

Should this be the case, I would suggest some of these Superb Free Tools : Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

I would suggest running McAfee Getsusp to detect Unknown/Suspicious Files that have yet been added to the McAfee GTI Data Base. Please remember to add your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning. Then I would follow up with AdwCleaner for a second opinion.

• 3. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
              Peter M

It would help to know what the page was about.   Having no idea what's on your machine and what settings McAfee has I would hazard a guess that something wants to be activated.

If you can satisfy yourself that no malware is present (see last link below) I would contact Technical Support, it's free.

Toronto ▪ Canada
              Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
              I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
              Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
              Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 4. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                Hayton

Any McAfee prompts, notifications, and (occasional) product advertising is done by means of a pop-up window in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. The only full-page window that you are likely to see is, as catdaddy surmised, when SiteAdvisor displays a blocking page (Red for a dangerous website, Yellow for a lower-risk site).

Take a screenshot next time it happens so we can see what this is about.

• 5. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                  scouser

The page has only reappeared today- below is the link to it

McAfee - Renew Today and Save

• 6. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                    catdaddy

@scouser,

Just to clarify my thinking...Are you saying that you are suddenly re-directed to that page, or are you clicking on the link with-in a prompt to go there? Also, I might add that the Price of the subscription is 1/2 the price of the normal subscription cost.

Especially it being McAfee All Access....

Thank you in advance,

All the best

Catdaddy

• 7. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                      scouser

No- it just appears on top of anything I have open in chrome. If I close it, the web page I was on re-appears,(but not always). I have been a client of  McAfee for many years, and have subscribed to Family protection for some time, so i'm annoyed at this unwanted intrusion.

• 8. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                        catdaddy

Hi scouser,

Thank you for your prompt response. That is indeed strange, for this to be occurring? As Colleague Hayton explained, normally you may receive a Prompt in the bottom right hand corner of the page. Possibly to remind you that you are reaching your expiry date.

Which you could normally dismiss. Do you by chance have your "Auto Renewal" settings enabled?

If so, you could go to your account and disable to see if this resolves this issue. As suggested in Post #2  You may try running AdwCleaner also.

This may be a topic for discussion during our next Conference call.

Please know that your concerns have been acknowledged.

All the very best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

• 9. Re: Unwanted Mcafee page
                          catdaddy

I might add also, I was just informed by a most knowledgeable Colleague, that you can also try clearing your Cookies/History/Cache in Chrome. And see if this helps to resolve your issue.

1 2 Previous Next