0 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 5:13 AM by fjuanh

USB file transfer corruption with EndpointEncryption for PC

fjuanh

Dear all,

I'm facing a problem with a USB device (Sony NWZ-WS613) related to McAfee's EEPC (Endpoint Encryption for PC) solution.

The USB device mounts fine and I can see correctly the file structure from the PC.

The problem is that file transfer is not working fine in any direction (read or write).

When reading from the PC a ZIP file in the USB device, the ZIP application (WinRAR, 7ZIP) reports that the file is corrupt.

When writing MP3 files from the PC to the USB device they will not play properly.

I have used the same USB device with 2 different PC models and the behavior is consistent: the USB device fails when McAfee's EEPC present but works fine when no EEPC.

The 2 PC models are: HP Probook 6470b and Lenovo T430 (in both cases with W7 Enterprise Edition SP1, 64-bit).

I have tried with different instances of all elements in the chain (USB device, USB port, PC models) with repeatedly consistent behavior: I'm fully confident that it's not a HW problem.

At the same time I have to say that I have not experienced problems with other USB devices (smartphone, external HDD ...).

The USB device is mounted as a "disk drive" (CLSID 4D36E967) and therefore loading the drivers MfeEpePc.sys and MfeEpeOpal.sys.

I'm a bit at a loss about how to further proceed to clearly diagnose the problem and find a solution.

I'd appreciate if someone can provide some light.

Kind regards

Federico