6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 6:09 AM by Peter M

i need computer help

nobilitycat21

I need help. I accidentally downloaded a file that seems to have done something to my software. It shut down my firwall and now i no longer have the ability to delete MacAfee from my computer.

• 1. Re: i need computer help
          nobilitycat21

it occurred after I downloaded a program called open download manager

• 2. Re: i need computer help
            catdaddy

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions By Moderator

• 3. Re: i need computer help
              Peter M

nobilitycat21 wrote:

I need help. I accidentally downloaded a file that seems to have done something to my software. It shut down my firwall and now i no longer have the ability to delete MacAfee from my computer.

I have altered your user name to hide the email portion for your privacy and security.  You will have to log out and back in again as nobilitycat21

Peter

• 4. Re: i need computer help
                Peter M

Try some hints and tools here:  Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

• 5. Re: i need computer help
                  Hayton

I would be interested to know what was the unwanted program that came with Open Download Manager and that has messed up your firewall. BleepingComputer disapproves of odm.exe because it comes bundled with adware and other PUPs, and yet the Open Download Manager website carries a McAfee Secure certification guaranteeing that the site is free of malware and has a secure connection (so no MITM attacks).

I'm currently investigating that website because of the lack of contact information in it. It appears to be part of a group of Florida-based companies and websites all controlled by one person, who makes money by bundling third-party programs with the downloads. WOT reviews for these companies are almost universally hostile, but the principle of optional extras being offered during a download is allowed so long as the option to refuse them is clear and explicit. Maybe that's not the case here.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: i need computer help
                    Peter M

If you haven't managed to locate and uninstall whatever it is that caused this have you tried winding back by using System Restore to before this happened?  System Restore is available through Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools or by simply typing in restore or rstrui in the Search box above the Start button and it will appear in the list above.

If successful don't forget to check for Windows Updates and for McAfee updates.

1 of 1 people found this helpful