6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2014 7:07 PM by exbrit

on-demand scan reports double the number of items scanned...

reva12

Hi all,

I have Mcafee Security Center that was installed by OEM (Dell: xps15 L502 x running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1).

Ever since a major update (at the beginning of 2014 ??), every time I run an On-demand scan, it reports double the number of items as scanned.

This may be pertinent (or not):

There used to be just one Mcafee entry in Startup before the update; but the update introduced a second one. Since they looked similar, I called the Mcafee tech support and they told me that it was not the same and needed to be in Startup:

Here are the relevant registry entries, the "old" key in red and the new in blue:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

@=""

"mcui_exe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\Agent\\mcagent.exe\" /runkey"

"mcpltui_exe"="\"C:\\Program Files\\McAfee.com\\Agent\\mcagent.exe\" /runkey"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Op tionalComponents]

@=""

I have also attached a screenshot of an example Mcafee On-demand scan report: It shows two items scanned where I had just right clicked on a single file to scan it.

Of course, Mcafee could be double counting in Scheduled Scans as well; but I would not be able to tell because it is a full scan and I do not know how many files there are on my computer.

Other than that Security Center works fine.

Maybe someone could tell me why there is an error in reporting the number of files scanned.

Thanks.