6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 11:07 AM by SteveKaye@Baird

Can't perform dump of McShield.exe process?

SteveKaye@Baird

I currently am troubleshooting an odd issue we are seeing with random hangs of Windows explorer.exe, where the only way to get any functionality back is to kill explorer.exe and restart the process.  As part of the trobuleshooting effort, I've opened cases with both McAfee and Microsoft and of course both sides are blaming the other at this point.  McAfee has asked that I collect memory dumps for Explorer.exe and McShield.exe, and have recommended the procdump.exe tool mentioned here (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB74914). 

It works fine for collecting a user-mode memory dump of Explorer.exe but every time I try it on McShield.exe, the dump process hangs as well and I have to physically restart the machine.  I've also tried to accomplish the same thing using Windows task manager by right-clicking on the McShield.exe process, and choosing "Create Dump File."  Unfortunately, the exact same thing happens here.  When I asked McAfee about it, my technical resource assigned to the case said he hasn't seen the issue before and it works fine for him.

We are running VirusScan 8.8 Patch 4 with McAfee Agent 4.8 Patch 2.  We do not enable Access Protection on the client side.  Has anyone ever seen this behavior?  I'm kind of stuck right now...

Thanks!