You can uninstall the Product Improvement Program software wthut an issue. I have done on most of our servers as it was failing to update.
I'm seeing the same usage with the Compatibility Service on both the 2003 and 2008 Servers.Upwards of 750MB of RAM for this service.
Would be keen to hear if anyone has anything further to disclose aboput this service, and what it does.
My servers are running
McAfee Agent 22.214.171.12420
McAfee Virusscan Ent. 126.96.36.1997
EPO Version is 5.1.1 No legacy software is present on the servers so i am unsure why the compatibility service would need to run.
To me it looks like a memory leak, this is now beginning to affect our systems badly, how do you uninstall it? Is it possible to do within epo?
I wish they would test this kind of thing properly, I'd rather deal with viruses getting through at the moment to be honest!
Spoke too early, for some reason all the clients have Product Improvement Program 188.8.131.522 installed and ePO only has version 184.108.40.2067 checked in! How the heck have my clients got an updated version? (I guess it got bundled with version 5 of agent at a guess)
Am tired of McAfee causing me to spend so much time fixing there own product!
Anyone any ideas?
Looks like I'm going to have to raise a call with support.
If you manually remove Product Improvement Program, guess what, yes, you need to restart the computer/server. I find the fact that none of this was documented is ridiculous.
If you turn on the Product improvement program in the server settings and then do a pull task of all items it should update it, then you can uninstall the software and turn off the product improvement program. I did find that it didnt matter what the version was in my environment, the uninstall task worked even if the version was newer on the PC\server
Cheers for that xspader.
Regarding the macompatsvc.exe service, this is now using over 1GB of memory on most of our servers, unacceptable, come on McAfee fix this, it's clearly a bug which many people may not be aware of.
This problem is compounded by the fact that tasks and policies aren't applying too. In order to kill the process/service I made a policy change to allow stopping of McAfee processes and services, because they aren't applying I can't stop the process/service. So server continues to get it's memory eaten away by this memory leak.
I think the only was to temporarily get rid of the process is to uninstall the agent which I'm about to do.
I have a case open 4-7688869209 which you are welcome to reference stating you have the same issue. I'm working with support now on this as well as another issue.