7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 4:09 AM by jmcleish

EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)

darrenw

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade all our endpoints from their current EEPC version (6.1.3) to Drive Encryption 7.1 Patch 1 in order to support devices running Windows 8.1.

I have read varying 'official' McAfee guides on the upgrade process - but they seem to contradict one another.

Could someone please advise the correct steps required - mainly the packages and Extensions to be checked in to ePO

I have read this > https://community.mcafee.com/discussion/create.jspa?sr=cmenu&containerType=14&co ntainerID=1&draftID=171846 < in which it states:

Read this before upgrading

Upgrade from EEPC 6.x.x
      Customers using EEPC 6.1.2 or later only need to upgrade the extensions to either EEPC 7.0 Patch 2 or Patch 3 before initiating the upgrade process to DE 7.1 Patch 1. These clients can then be upgraded directly from EEPC 6.1.2 or later to DE 7.1 Patch 1. Once the extension has been checked in, follow the steps detailed in the Product Guide.
      Before upgrading EEPC 6.1.x or 6.2.x clients to DE 7.1 Patch 1, McAfee strongly recommends that you review KB81522

Does the upgrade of Extensions in ePO to v7.xx have any detrimental effect on the EEPC endpoint clients?

Some clear concise steps fro the upgrade would be really appreciated please.

Many thanks,

Darren.

• 1. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
          jhall2

KB81538 is an official resource to assist in the upgrade path fro 6.1.x to 7.1.x. This provides step by step instructions to perform this upgrade.

As for client machines, 6.1.x client systems and above can be managed by the 7.1 extensions although it is suggested the be upgraded to a supported version.

• 2. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
            jmcleish

I've just upgraded my clients from 6.2.1 to 7.1.1. I thought i would have to do a partial client upgrade to 7.0.3 but no- I upgraded my extensions to 7.0.3 and then did the user data upgrade task etc and my clients were fine until i upgraded them to 7.1.1.

Only thing I have noticed that when i upgrade the extensions (and i've noticed this when i did a previous upgrade to 6.2.1) that an <unknown> box appears on the pre boot login screen. Figured that its compatibility with the old PBFS, (it doesn't do anything but will disappear when you upgrade your clients)

As the KB article jhall2 mentions above and this one: McAfee KnowledgeBase - Documentation Correction: Drive Encryption 7.1 Product Guide  state that you can upgrade from 6.1.2 directly to 7.1.1.

Here is a good video showing how to upgrade the extensions:

Upgrading Endpoint Encryption 7.0 (server extension) to Drive Encryption 7.1 (server extension)

HTH

Jane

• 3. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
              darrenw

Hi Jhall2 and jmcleish,

Sorry for the delayed update to this post, I have not yet had a chance to proceed with the works.

I have one question about the steps (5 and 6) listed in the KB - KB81538:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.Upgrade the EEAdmin and EEPC Extension to 7.0.3:

a.Extract the contents of the EEPC 7.0.3 package to a temporary location.
              b.Log on to the ePO server as an Administrator.
              c.Click Menu, Software, Extensions, then click Install Extension.
              d.Navigate to the EEPC 7.0.3 EEAdmin Extension in the temporary location and click OK twice.
              e.Navigate to the EEPC 7.0.3 EEPC Extension in the temporary location and click OK twice.

6.Upgrade the EEAdmin extension to 7.0.4 (bundled with the DE 7.1 software download):

a.Extract the contents of the Drive Encryption 7.1 package to a temporary location.
              b.Log on to the ePO server as an Administrator.
              c.Click Menu, Software, Extensions, then click Install Extension.
              d.Navigate to the EEPC 7.0.4 EEAdmin Extension in the temporary location and click OK twice.

NOTE: Do not pause at this step or any step within Step 6 as users are unmanageable at points during the upgrade.

e.Disable all EE LDAP Sync tasks and the LDAP: Sync Across Users from LDAP task.
              f.Edit the User Data Upgrade task and accept the Terms and Conditions. See KB79958 for details. a.Edit the Task and click Next.
              b.Accept the Terms and Conditions.
              c.Click Next, then click Save.

g.Run the User Data Upgrade Server task.

NOTE: Do not perform any other tasks until the User Data Upgrade completes.

h.Check-in the EEAdmin and EEPC 7.1 extensions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I have to check-in the 7.0.3 extensions then wait a period of time for these to apply to end devices before checking-in 7.0.4, then likewise with 7.0.4 wait for those to apply to end devices before proceeding to 7.1 extensions??

Or, is it simply a matter of checking-in each version and performing the upgrade in 'one go' once each extension is installed without the need to push each version to the end devices?

Regards,

Darren

• 4. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
                jmcleish

Hi Darren,

When i did it, i had checked in 7.0.3 extensions for a week or so before i did the upgrade. Just because i wasn't ready to upgrade at that point (As i was deciding whether to go to 7.0.3 first, then 7.1) . But  the 7.0.4 , user upgrade task and 7.1 extensions are all done in one go. This is a server side task and doesn't involve the client. It says in the video link i posted that " you do not need to upgrade our client as part of the eeadmin upgrade process. Clients should only be upgraded once the upgrade of eeadmin to 7.1 has successfully completed"

I'm sure you don't have to wait for them to filter down to the clients- if this was necessary, then it would say so. I guess its for server side compatibility as previously from 6, you had to upgrade to 7 first and then to 7.1.

HTH

Jane

• 5. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
                  darrenw

Hi Jane,

Thank you for the reply. Having watched the video now (:-) ) I get a better understanding of the process.

If / when I have an update to our upgrade I shall post an entry here.

Regards,

Darren.

• 6. Re: EEPC v6.1.3 upgrade path to DE 7.1 Patch 1 (Windows 8.1 support)
                    darrenw

Hi Jane / Jhall2,

So, I have no completed the upgrade task - and thank you both for your help, replies, advice.

The upgrade from EEPC 6.1.3 to DE 7.1 as stated in the McAfee KB - https://kc.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=KB81538, worked a treat. I had a small issue at the step 6g (Run the User Data Upgrade Server task). But this was resolved with the help of McAfee support. There was a small misconfiguration in some of our LDAP Sync Tasks for the EEPC product.

To outline the steps involved:

Install in to ePO the EEAdmin + EEPC Extensions for 7.0.3.

Upgrade the EEAdmin to 7.0.4 as included in the DE 7.1 package.

Disabled EE LDAP Sync tasks and the task 'LDAP: SYNC ACROSS USERS FROM LDAP'.

Edit the 'USER DATA UPGRADE' task (enabled it, accepted T's & Cs etc) then run the task.

Checked in the EEAdmin 7.1 Extensions.

enabled the 'LDAP: SYNC ACROSS USERS FROM LDAP' task.

Confirmed I could still manage Encryption Users in ePO.

Confirmed I could log in to EE on an end device after policy updates.

I have now downloaded to the Evaluation branch in ePO the PC Agent and PC Software for 7.1 and assigned a client task to apply this to some test devices before applying it to all machines. The test includes a new installation to Windows 8.1 machine and an upgrade to existing Windows 7 with EEPC 6.1.3 installed.

The upgrade to the existing EEPC installation worked a treat, and relatively quickly for Endpoint! As I write the Windows 8.1 machine is still in the Encryption process...

Thanks again for your help, and advice.

Regards,

Darren