4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 4:28 AM by khuhta

change Users Passwords using  StoneSoft API or SSH

fdezmichael

Hi,

I was reading the documentation related with StoneSoft API... because  I need to be able to change the password associated with users (Stonesoft Operators/Admin) using this API.

Also works for my doing that via SSH.

I would like to know is there is a way to do it, via API or SSH.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Michael.

• 1. Re: change Users Passwords using  StoneSoft API or SSH
          khuhta

Hi,

Currently it is possible to only list users through the SMC API. Changing admin user passwords through the SSH is not possible either due to the SMC structure (all data is stored in an SQL database). Is there some specific reason why the admin accounts can not be modified with a superuser account through the SMC GUI? That would be the recommended way to do it.

BR,

Katja

• 2. Re: change Users Passwords using  StoneSoft API or SSH
            fdezmichael

Hi Katja,

First, thanks a lot for your help.

Second, let me explain what i need to do.

I'm implementing a system in order to control all the privileged accounts on systems... so, for StoneSoft I need:

1.- Create an account with privileges for changing the users passwors. No problem with this.

2.- The question is how can I change the user passwors for this users.. So if you say that StoneSoft use a MSSQL Database.. the questions are:

2.1 Can I connect from an external machine to that MSSQL...? and change the user passwords?????

2.2  If the answer is yes, Will not break anything inside StoneSoft?

2.3.- What kind of permissions do I need to connect to that MSSQL?, It uses the default port (1433/tcp)?

2.4.- Where Do i need to create the user to connect to that database?... on the SMC?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Michael.

• 3. Re: change Users Passwords using  StoneSoft API or SSH
              khuhta

Hi Michael,

Modifying the SMC's SQL database manually is not officially supported. In some emergency cases it might be necessary to modify it with the guidance of Technical Support but other than that it should not be modified manually.

BR,

Katja

• 4. Re: change Users Passwords using  StoneSoft API or SSH
                fdezmichael

Hi Katja,

Well.. thanks again for your time and help.

Regards,

Michael.