2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2015 2:05 PM by vidrine

EPO Web-API - Getting Started...Why Use It?

epository

All,

I have been reading up on using the epo Web-API which seems kind of neat, but I just cant envision that many scenarios where it would be needed in an environment.

I am thinking of using it just to export data and graphs to a Sharepoint page for situational awareness, and maybe a limited query window to assist the Inventory people with tracking down lost serial numbers....but i see people asking how to add EPO accts or how to change passwords...etc using the WEB-API and I cant think of why this would be such an onerous task to require scripting for it.

Am I missing the intent of the WEB-API or can someone tell me what scenarios they are using it for?  Wide open access to the WEB-API seems like a recipe for trouble especially if people are tagging computers or adding users.  If I understand correctly, if you host this off of a webpage, then you are using the same credentials to execute all of these tasks which could lead to accountability issues.

Any feedback or ideas on how you have used it I would love to hear.

I am thinking just creating a sharepoint portal for the HelpDesk to show them which computers have viruses, which computers have low disk space, and a search window for serial numbers rather than having to create individual accts and dashboards for them.

I appreciate any feedback.

• 1. Re: EPO Web-API - Getting Started...Why Use It?
          crackerjak

Not everyone uses the EE:ALDU. Some requirements may include adding a single user and helpdesk group to a single machine. Or the ability to script 4k unique users to unique machines. EEPC 5.2.4 had an easy way to script a single user to a single machine. When you switch to ePO and need to learn python, the task is a bit different. ePO Web-API has been very helpful however I'm having issue with  eeadmin users. Its tough to design a script when the example doesn't even work right at the beginning. I try to provide all the information I can but I don't get a lot of replies and the same issues are reposted over again leading me to believe that everyone is having the same issues I am

• 2. Re: EPO Web-API - Getting Started...Why Use It?
            vidrine

The Web-API isn't wide open.  It's constrained the same as controlling access to the ePO web console.  You have to authenticate to the ePO server to provide any commands.

In regards to use cases, they're vast.  Perhaps it's to tie ePO into another automated process.  Or to circumvent a process within ePO.  Or a limitation in the GUI of the system.

For me, the latest use case I was able to leverage the API for was tagging systems with broken policy inheritance.  I was able to create a query within ePO to identify the systems, but I could not use the query within Server Tasks to tag them, as the query was not a "Managed System" query.

This lead me to run my query and export the system names.  I then had a PowerShell script authenticate my ePO admin account to the server and for each system it applied a newly created tag (something like "Broken Inheritance").

Also crackerjak - Python is what McAfee provided as a demo/example, but the API calls don't have to be sent via Python.  Myself and many others on the community site have done work on creating API calls with Microsoft PowerShell.

1 of 1 people found this helpful