4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2015 11:12 AM by sos2000

McAfee Endpoint Protection 10 vs McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8

willsonlebig

Hi all,

After the installation of McAfee Endpoint Protection 10, from my point of view, It seems that this new McAfee product is the combination of:

1. McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise
      2. McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention
      3. McAfee Site Advisor Enterprise

Please, I need your opinions about this new product (McAfee Endpoint Protection 10).

Thank your in advance!

• 1. Re: McAfee Endpoint Protection 10 vs McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8

You are correct - the current ENS10 combines HIPS, VSE and SAE - it's not just a "bundle" of three products though, they are deeply integrated together. The anti-malware engine is also very different from the one used in VSE, though it comes from the same team (McAfee Labs) - The new engine, or "AMCore" was real-world tested in our consumer products for several years - same level of protection as the engine in VSE, but a more modern architecture which leads to reduced DAT sizes, and less user impact.

What's your experience so far? I am guessing you're a SAAS/Securitycenter user? Any feedback for us?

• 3. Re: McAfee Endpoint Protection 10 vs McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8
            willsonlebig

Hi SafeBoot,

Thank you for your answer,

I am using this product (ENS10) with McAfee EPO.

I think it is good product. And the integration (all in one) has been a great idea!

I am busy testing the product. If there are some issues I will give you a feedback as soon as possible.

• 4. Re: McAfee Endpoint Protection 10 vs McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8
              sos2000

Well just installed as unmanaged version the Endpoint Security 10 version.

One inside a virtual machine with XP SP3, one inside Windows 8.1 Pro real machine.

Very fast to install on both and it didn't ask to me to restart windows (very strange for me).

The interface I don't like because it seems there is nothing to change or to check. In this case they "copy" the Saas Endpoint version Agent and not the Viruscan Enterprise interface (loved for years).

Hide in upper right you find where are the settings but again the advanced settings are not showed so you need to click everytime to see waht you can change or how is setting the default system.

The scan interface is very bad, it does not show the % remaing so you have to guess the time remaining. It seems with my Intel i7 3770 3,4 Ghz that during the scan it use all cores at 100%: could be good or bad it depends by point of view. Also into XP vitualized tha scan use 100% Cpu.

It seems that warning advices don't appear as pop-up but you have to find into the register.

The web control is enable as default so careful if you want to go "strange" website.