1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2014 3:08 PM by susja

Task continue to run after scan completion ..

susja

Capture.PNG
      Hi,

I'm using VSE 8.7i. I use it from command line like this: scan32.exe" /Task {41899E7F-F67A-4029-A973-50634B29373E} CLEAN LOG AUTOEXIT

It works fine and in OnDemandScanLog I see that scan completed.

The problem is that when I try to scan it again (it's Scheduled Job) it failed. Then I checked in VS Console and see that the Status of that Task is still 'Running ....'

My question:

How could I make it to complete the Status 'Running ...' and make it available for the next scan?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
          llamamecomoquieras

Hi Susja,

What you doing is not supported as I said before, you need to use VSE Commad line scan and not to use the scan32 from VSE to run a script to do the scan.

You are having many issues because you are using the product wrong (not supported scenarios)

Best regards,

Jose Maria

• 2. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
            Peter M

Moved to VSE - Moderator

• 3. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
              susja

- Jose Maria,

Sorry ... I didn't get you before when you mentioned about VSE scan

I just thought it's another name ...

Anyway ... currently I'm using c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\scan32.exe with the options.

Could you please tell me what is the path to VSE executable and what options I could use?

Thanks in advance

• 4. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
                susja

Well ... I read a little bit about VSE command line tools ... not clear yet. I have VSE  8.7i ... it looks that command line tool is a separate component and I will need to install it on all 20 my PC's.

All my PC's are not connected to Internet hence I'll have to somehow handle it ...

Will have to figure out how to get that VSE command line scan bits for download ..

• 5. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
                  llamamecomoquieras

Hi Susja,

VirusScan command line is a diferent product included in your grant number. You should downloaded and if you have all the Machines in the same network you could run the command line scanner from a share folder using the latest DAT (I believe from another share folder as the local Machine will not have the lates DAT as is not Connected to internet.

You can downloaded from McAfee software download page and test in a Machine. As I said this is a diferent product (much lighter than VSE) and you can read the documentation and do some tests.

Hope this helps you.

Best regards,

Jose Maria

• 7. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
                    susja

Hi Jose Maria,

Appreciate your response.

You are correct and I perform exactly the update and scan of my 20 PC's as you suggested i.e. by connecting to one shared folder that has connection to Internet and could be updated daily by DAT.

My goal is to scan all 20 PC's at the same time at scheduled time. One suggested to use command line i.e. script it.

Based on your response I understood that I have to install that VSE command line scanner.

Now I'm thinking ... maybe I don't need to use script and command line tool at all? Since I have all admin privileges I could simply schedule all PC's to do Full scan at the same time using VS Console? Now I'm thinking that I don't have 'special' advantage to to do a scan from command line v.s. using Console.

Will see how difficult it would be for me to get VSE command line , download and install v.s. simply schedule already existing McAfee using Console.

Again ... your input is very valuable for met. Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
                      llamamecomoquieras

Hi Susja,

Then I will advise you the following:

Create a mirror task and download daily the DAT in a share folder. Then in VSE for the 20 Machines point to Update from the share folder and then schedule a ODS for the 20 Machines at the same time.

Mirror tasks and how they work

The mirror task replicates the update files from the first accessible repository defined in the repository list, to a mirror site on your network. The most common use of this task is to mirror the contents of the McAfee download site to a local server. After you replicate the McAfee site that contains the update files, computers on your network

can download the files from the mirror site. This approach is practical because it allows you to update any computer on your network, whether or not it has Internet access; and eficient because your systems are communicating with a server that is probably closer than a McAfee Internet site, economizing access and download time.

The VirusScan Enterprise software relies on a directory structure to update itself. When mirroring a site, it is important to replicate the entire directory structure.

NOTE: This directory structure also supports previous versions of VirusScan Enterprise and

NetShield, as long as the entire directory structure is replicated in the same location that VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 uses for updating.

Configuring the mirror task

To store DAT files and scan engines in a designated location for use by other computers, configure the location and schedule using mirror task properties. Task

For option definitions, click ? or Help on the tab.

1 To access the Mirror task properties use:

• ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 or 4.6 — Click Menu | Systems | System Tree and

select Client Tasks.

NOTE: Refer to the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 Product Guide for detailed

instructions on creating a new scheduled client task.

• ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0 — Click Systems | System tree | Client Task and select

an existing update task or to create a new task, click New Task.

NOTE: Refer to the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.0 Product Guide for detailed

instructions on creating a new scheduled client task.

• VirusScan Console, perform one of the following:

• Select an existing mirror task, right-click and select Properties. The Mirror Task

dialog box appears.

• To create a new mirror task, select Task | New Mirror Task and a New Update

Task appears in the Task list. Click the new task to open the Mirror Task dialog box.

NOTE: Change the task name to something more descriptive by right-clicking the

task and selecting Rename.

2 VirusScan Console — Select an existing update task (right-click and select Properties),

or create a new task (select Task | New Mirror Task, select the new task in the list).

TIP: When you create a new client task, we recommend renaming the task with a descriptive

name.

3 Specify the log file location and format.

4 Configure whether to get newer detection definitions, newer engine and DATs, and other

available updates such as service packs, and product upgrades.

5 Specify which executable to run after the update task has completed and whether to run

it only after a successful update.

6 Click Mirror Location to configure the mirror server destination.

7 Click Schedule to configure when and how often the task should run. Refer to, Using

scheduled tasks for details.

8 Click Mirror Now to run the task immediately.

9 Configure the options on the tab. For option definitions, click ? or Help on the tab.

Tab Definitions

Mirror • Specify the log file location and format.

• Specify which executable to run after the mirror task has completed and whether to

run it only after a successful mirror.

Once you have configured the mirror task and the packages has been downloaded, you must change the Update patch in the antivirus and chosse the UNC folder (Shared) that you has created/configurated

Configuring the repository list

The repository list includes the repositories where you retrieve updates. Create and configure as many repositories as you need. Some sites can be used all the time while others are used only occasionally.

Task

For option definitions, click Help in the interface.

1 From the VirusScan Console, select Tools | Edit AutoUpdate Repository List to access

the AutoUpdate Repository List properties.

NOTE: To configure the repository feature using the ePolicy Orchestrator console navigate

to the Policy Catalog | McAfee Agent display and click the Repositories tab.

2 Configure the options on the tabs.

Tab Definitions

Repositories • Specify the repositories where you get updates.

• Configure the order to access the repositories.

Proxy settings Specify which proxy settings to use when updating.

I hope this info it helps you to solve your issue

Best regards,

Jose Maria

• 9. Re: Task continue to run after scan completion ..
                        susja

Wow .....

That is so descriptive and detailed. Appreciate it. The only disadvantage is that I have to change all my structure I did before

let me ask you this: I already have a process that does daily download of xdate.exe to share folder. After that I copy the file locally on each PC, run it and scan.

Using your suggestions above.... could I instead of copy file locally on each machine just point from Console of each machine to run update from the shared folder where that file is located?

that would save me effort to copy and execute date.exe on each PC.

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next