7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 7:27 PM by susja

Log file descripancy

susja

Hello,

I'm running VSE 8.7 i. Version of DAT before this procedure was 7602. I downloaded 7615xdat.exe

I do these steps:

1. from command line run: %nnnnxdat.exe /F /silent

2. it should update DAT. In newly generated file SuperDat.log I see that update completed successfully and current version is 7615 (as expected)

3. from command line run: %scan32.exe /T {96F7BA98-8D5E-4FBE-9E54-77AC455755C4} /CLEAN /REPORT c:\McAfee\log.txt . It completed without issues ...except report at c:\McAfee\log.txt was not created

4. I check report of the scan and it states that DAT is 7602

My questions:

1. why SuperDat.log states that I updated to 7615 but OnDemand scan report shows 7602?
      2. why /REPORT did not generate report where I expected
      3. what option should I add on command line in order for console to 'exit' after scan?
      4. could I rely on SuperDat.log info and consider that it was scanned using 7615?

Thanks in advance for your input.

• 1. Re: Log file descripancy
          llamamecomoquieras

Hi.

To make sure which that is using your ODS please check the DAT under HKLM\Software\(wow3264)\McAfee\AVEngine.

By the way you making your life difficult as you using wrong product and scripts when you can use VirusScan command line

Best regards

Jose Maria

• 2. Re: Log file descripancy
            susja

Thanks for reply.

I have to use command line because all my PC's are located in VLAN and don't have access to Internet hence I have to script download of xdat.exe to shated location, move it to each PC and etc.

btw .... Since not all options for scan32.exe are working as expected (e.g. /REPORT) in my VSE 8.7 i where could I find available options?

anyway ... thanks for reply

• 3. Re: Log file descripancy
              rmetzger

Hi susja,

susja wrote:

Thanks for reply.

I have to use command line because all my PC's are located in VLAN and don't have access to Internet hence I have to script download of xdat.exe to shated location, move it to each PC and etc.

btw .... Since not all options for scan32.exe are working as expected (e.g. /REPORT) in my VSE 8.7 i where could I find available options?

anyway ... thanks for reply

I think Jose Maria meant that the proper product for what you are trying is 'VirusScan Command Line Interface,' not scan32 or scan64.

I wrote some ideas about this here: Command Line Scanning, McAfee CLS, Batch

Constructive comments and discussions welcome.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: Log file descripancy
                susja

Thanks, that was really helpful and I found things I did not know before.

One thing is still confusing me: like in VSE documentation when it described the usage of option they give values without forward slash while in your document each value preceeds with slash ... like

scan32.exe  /AD /LOG /CLEAN /REPORT v.s. scan32.exe AD LOG CLEAN REPORT.

Which one is correct?

Otherwise I'm all set and thanks for your input

• 5. Re: Log file descripancy
                  rmetzger

Hi Susja,

susja wrote:

One thing is still confusing me: like in VSE documentation when it described the usage of option they give values without forward slash while in your document each value preceeds with slash ... like

Which one is correct?

Well, I don't use Scan32.exe and I have not found much documentation for the Scan32.exe command line parameters.

I use what has worked well for me, which includes the / character preceding each parameter. However, this is using Scan.exe (VirusScan Command Line Scanner, NOT VirusScan Enterprise, a completely separate product, which you are using when referencing Scan32.exe or Scan64.exe).

Hope that helps.

Ron Metzger

• 6. Re: Log file descripancy
                    rmetzger

susja wrote:

scan32.exe /Task {41899E7F-F67A-4029-A973-50634B29373E} CLEAN LOG AUTOEXIT

Might I suggest trying:

scan32.exe /Task {41899E7F-F67A-4029-A973-50634B29373E} /CLEAN /LOG /AUTOEXIT

Is it possible that 'CLEAN LOG AUTOEXIT' were ignored? Preceding each parameter with a / may help.

Can you try the suggested line and let us know if it works?

This process begs the question: Why are you using the command line to scan, when ePO or VirusScan Console can do these scans with automation and logging?

Hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

• 7. Re: Log file descripancy
                      susja

After some discussion in my company we decided not to use VirusScan Comand Line Scanner nor scan32.exe.

We decided to use VirusScan Console option for configuration of our scan needs.

Thanks for input