0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 10:54 PM by btlyric

Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger Application Block

btlyric

Has anyone successfully used the Application entry for Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger to block IM/Chat traffic?

I'm not sure how long Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger application has been in existence in the IM/Chat application list, but during review periods I keep our IM/Chat block up to date by ensuring that all entries in the IM/Chat application list are selected.

Adding that application to our IM/Chat blocking application list resulted in logins for hotmail.com, outlook.com and msdn.microsoft.com being denied. Perhaps others; those are just the ones that I've seen reported so far.

My currently implemented workaround is to put the Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger and MSN2Go applications in their own list and add criteria of URL.Host matches *.gateway.messenger.live.com.

Seems to me that I could achieve the same outcome if I just blocked URL.Host matches *.gateway.messenger.live.com and whatever URL that MSN2Go uses, but it would be preferable to be consistent in blocking methodologies.

Comments?