7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2014 7:37 PM by Peacekeeper

Mozilla Thunderbird "Not Responding" when Deleting Email

maternus

My wife and I have virtually identical environments: Dell XPS desktops running Windows 8.1 with pre-installed 1-year-free McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security via Dell XPS. We also both have (manually installed) Mozilla Thunderbird 24.6.0, and Norton Internet Security. I have a few more applications (like Microsoft Office 2010 and TurboTax) than she does, but both of our environments are pretty vanilla. Starting about 2 months ago we both began to have a problem when deleting emails: the first one deletes fine, but after that each one freezes Thunderbird for 3 to 10 seconds. Annoying but not devastating. But in the last two weeks Thunderbird performance on my wife's PC (but not mine) has begun to seriously degrade. Frequently, Delete hangs and then returns "Warning: Unresponsive script / A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, / or you can continue to see if the script will complete / script: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js:179". 

After reading the discussions  in the Mozilla and McAfee communities, I've changed the McAfee settings to (1) scan documents and programs, not everything and (2) Minimize the effect on my PC's speed. This helped for a day or two, and then my wife's PC got worse than ever. I'm reluctant to tell McAfee to stop scanning attachments.  But the community discussions are a little old. Is there a permanent solution yet? Or should I just uninstall McAfee and rely on Norton?