2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 6:26 PM by catdaddy

McAfee Total Protection Showing Secure but Windows Showing Anti-Virus Turned Off

stymie2000

I'm running McAfee Total Protection version 13.6, build 13.6.1248 on a Dell with OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.  All windows updates are up-to-date.  I noticed that it my tool bar the Action Center flag had a red circle with an x through it.  When I clicked on it this is what popped up.

Virus2.jpg

However, when I open McAfee Total Protection everything is green and the message is that my computer is secure.

Virus 3.jpg

I've had several instances of crashes recently and have done a full system scan and run Spybot S&D within the past week.

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection Showing Secure but Windows Showing Anti-Virus Turned Off
          catdaddy

stymie2000,

There is a known issue with Microsoft not recognizing your Anti-Virus at start-up. It usually corrects itself in a few minutes. My concern is that you have (SpyBot S&D) installed. It is no longer recommended to use, for it conflicts with your McAfee Anti-Virus especially if the "Tea Timer" is active.

I recommend uninstalling it , and would elect to use Malwarebytes (Free) as a second opinion/ODS,or compliment to your McAfee Protection. It is compatible and all you need to do is update it before scanning each time.To keep it Free simply DO NOT accept any Free Trial offers/or Activate the Pro Version during the Download/Installation process.

(Click on Start/Type in "Services.Msc", then when the program "Services" comes up, click on it)

Follow the instructions directly below....

As for your Windows Action Center not recognizing McAfee. Simply go to "Services.msc" or "Microsoft Management Control, and scroll down to where you see (Security Center)- WSCSV, Double left click on it,and (Disable) click apply make certain (Service is stopped)  Then go back and repeat the procedure, and set Start-up as (Automatic (D), Click Apply and make certain the service is started.

You should now see that WAC recognizes McAfee. Please post back your results...

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer products

• 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection Showing Secure but Windows Showing Anti-Virus Turned Off
            catdaddy

Moved this from Security Awareness to General Discussion, which seems more Appropiate-By Moderator