4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 5:48 PM by catdaddy

Artemis!55E13C7DE477

stymie2000

Message keeps popping up and I'm not sure if it's legitimate.  I've been having problems with my PC lately and have had to run system restores so I want to check before I do anything.  Folder is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\AppData\Roaming\defaulttab\defaultTabSetup.exe  TIA

• 1. Re: Artemis!55E13C7DE477
          catdaddy

stymie2000,

You may try the following Removal Guide:Remove Default Tab by "Search Results, LLC" (Removal Guide)

I might add also, that since you mentioned that you have also attempted some (System Restores) Please make certain that you are Current and Up to date, with all Windows Updates to include Internet Explorer.

While one may not use it, McAfee and other important programs do, in order to function properly.

Please make sure your McAfee is Current as well.....

Please make certain you are current with all Add-ons, especially Adobe Flash Player ( 15.0.0.189 )  To keep Malwarebytes (Free) DO NOT accept any Free Trial Offers or Activate the (Pro) Trial all through the Download Process.

You may find the following most informative: PUPs - Potentially Unwanted Programs - Basics

Here is what Herdprotect has determined:Malware scan of DefaultTab.exe (DefaultTab) 6fd1d183fbbbef209d277334c8bf0e81ccb1dc51 - herdProtect

You may wish to also run the Latest McAfee Getsusp Tool, to add this to the McAfee GTI Data Base.Please enter your Email Address under " Preferences" before Scanning. This Superb Tool and others can be found here:Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

Please post back your results...

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Artemis!55E13C7DE477
            stymie2000

Thank you.  I got the message again this morning and quarantined the file.  I also performed the removal of the default tab.  The only suspicious thing I found was the default tab and that is now gone.  I did run into another issue that I just found and posted it here as that seemed to be the most appropriate place for it.  Thank you again for the fast response.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/355530#355530

• 3. Re: Artemis!55E13C7DE477
              catdaddy

stymie2000,

You are quite welcome  Have you submitted the False Artemis! to McAfee Labs? Until you do so,it will continue to be detected. Please follow the Guidelines/Instructions in this Link: What To Do When McAfee Detects Software As An Infection - How to Submit To McAfee Labs & Appeal

Upon successful submission, you should receive a Anaylysis ID #, due to the large volume of daily detections( 150,000 or more) please allow 4-5 business days to be processed/analyzed. If not resolved by then, kindly post back the Analysis ID #, we can contact a Engineer/Technician from McAfee Labs,and quite possibly expedite the process.

All the Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Consumer Products

• 4. Re: Artemis!55E13C7DE477
                catdaddy

Also if you feel that your ( PUP) issue has been correctly resolved. Could you kindly appropriately mark so. For then we can consider this thread Correctly answered.

Actually even though we got your Potentially Unwanted Program removed, you can,t mark Answered until we get your (False Artemis! Analyzed). Due to it being in the same thread.

All the Best,

Catdaddy