3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2014 8:33 AM by avjana

How to configure Beaconing Correlation Rule in SIEM ??

avjana

I have an requirement to configure the beaconing correlation rule..

Here is an example :    Connection attempt to external Botnet category site  -  5 events for every 10 min over period of 24 hours..

i can configure the rule to have 5 events in 10 Min interval.. how do we configure to run over for 24 hours period.. Any help really appreciated.. Thanks

• 1. Re: How to configure Beaconing Correlation Rule in SIEM ??
          japie

Hi Avjana

You can try the following:

Add Match component - define you criteria in here   - Botnet Cat

Click on Parameters  - set threshold to 5 events and TimeWindow to 10min

Then add a AND operator on the component and set the TimeWindow to 24H and tick the sequence box.

Regards,

Japie

• 2. Re: How to configure Beaconing Correlation Rule in SIEM ??
            avjana

Thank you Japie

I did exactly what you mentioned but i didn't check on Sequence box which didnt allow me to set the time more than child .. now i click on Sequence box which allowed me to set the time to 24 hr ... Thank you very much for your response

• 3. Re: How to configure Beaconing Correlation Rule in SIEM ??
              avjana

Hi Japie

it seems it didnt work for me.. i am able to see the events trigger only for 5 events in 10 min.. but not repetitive.

here it looks like..

AND [ 1. AND [ Filter --> Object_type In Botnet Category

1st AND - i have 24 hr with Sequence

2nd AND -  I have 5 events in 10 min Interval.

If  i select only one AND operator.. i can select only threshold and time window ( 5 event in 10 min interval)  with sequence but not sure where to mention 24 hour time period.. Can you tell me if something is not right here.. Thanks..