1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 8:26 AM by Troja

MWG - possibility of downgrade

svokac

Hello,

I'm currently preparing scenario for MWG upgrade (7.2.0 to 7.4.2), I would like ask if there is also supported downgrade process (as a kind of rollback)?

Via "mwg-switch-repo -f 7.2.0" i can probably switch back to previous repository, but is there any way howto downgrade packages already upgraded to the newer version?

P.S. I suppose that just switching to older repository, finding all packages starting by mwg-* and try to downgrade them via yum is not supported way?

Many thanks for your help,

Stan

• 1. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
          exbrit

Moved to MWG for better attention.

• 2. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
            asabban

Hello,

there is no supported way of doing a downgrade!

You should take a backup of the appliance. In case something goes wrong re-image the appliance with the desired version and restore the backup.

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
              svokac

Hello,

currently we are running two appliances in cluster mode but unfortunatelly without any system backup (just backup of configuration).

Can I ask for official way to backup MWG?

Best Regard,

Stan

• 4. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                asabban

Hello,

you can find the Backup on Troubleshooting -> Backup/Restore

The backup contains the policy and all settings for all nodes in the cluster.

Best,

Andre

• 5. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                  svokac

Hello,

OK, I supposed that you mean some 3-rd party application or tool to make backup on OS level not config.

Many thanks for your assistace, I really appreciate it.

Stan

• 6. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                    asabban

Hello!

Probably I did not understand correctly. MWG does not come with an OS level backup. You can login to the MWG UI, switch to Troubleshooting -> Backup/Restore and grab an archive there which contains the complete MWG configuration, including policy, IP address settings, etc.

In case of an emergency (e.g. the device broke) you need to install a blank MWG using the ISO images available. After the installation is done you login to the UI and restore the backup with the file you obtained previously. All settings will be restored and your MWG will have the previous configuration + policy available.

To create an OS level backup we don't have exact instructions I am aware of. Certainly you could just boot into Clonezilla or something similar and make a 1:1 copy of the system to some network location. NOTE: There could be problems with raid drivers, etc., so honestly I would not really try to make such a backup.

Usually the provided backup mechanism should be suitable, unless it requires manual re-installation of the OS. If you are unsure you could install a blank MWG on VMware, take a backup, re-install the VM with the ISO image and restore the backup file to learn how all settings are restored again. Such a VM could also be useful to install a new version before you update the production systems.

Generally the update to newer versions work very well, so there are only very very rare cases in which a downgrade would have helped in the past. While it would certainly give a much better feeling when upgrading, the upgrade should work smoothly. In case of problems you will be able to easily restore the previous MWG using its ISO image + backup taken from the UI.

Best,

Andre

• 7. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                      M Bagheryan M

As far as I know It is not possible to do. I am totally agree with Andre.

• 8. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                        svokac

OK, many thanks guys.

I would like also ask one question regarding cluster. We have currently two
                        node cluster which we are planning to upgrade to version 7.4.

Problem is that because problems with eventual roll-back we would like
                        upgrade first one node currently running version 7.3 and one week later second
                        node (so at least one week will run nodes with different versions in one cluster).

I would like ask if this can cause some problems with cluster functionality?

Best Regards,

Stan

• 9. Re: MWG - possibility of downgrade
                          M Bagheryan M

Again as far as I know there no problem to do this.

Are you using virtual IP or not?

1 2 Previous Next