4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2014 3:27 PM by SafeBoot

Guessing a Virus or Malware on Email

dcreedy

For some reason a email is being sent randomly to 2 separate email addresses in my address book.

One of them is a closed address and the email is returned later, the other is a friend and he told me he has received 30 of them from me over the last few weeks.

I have done a total scan and nothing has been found.

The sent email is not in my sent folder in Mozilla Thunderbird and I also logged into my account via web and it is not in the sent folder of the web based..

Window 7 pro..

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Guessing a Virus or Malware on Email
          Peacekeeper

Did it actually come from you one can spoof your email i got 200+ returns from a email flood of spam i was supposed to have sent it means i of your contacts has been infected and his address book copied. That is probably how they got your email if this is actually a spoof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_spoofing

That said did you check the email properties/source  to see where the sender was.

Also to be sure use several of the free scanners in my sig to double check you are clean.

With getsusp add your email addy to its preferences and with Malwarebytes use the free version do not choose the free trial of the premium version

Tony

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
          No unrequested PMs please
          How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
          How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
          Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

• 2. Re: Guessing a Virus or Malware on Email
            thecreator

dcreedy wrote:

For some reason a email is being sent randomly to 2 separate email addresses in my address book.

One of them is a closed address and the email is returned later, the other is a friend and he told me he has received 30 of them from me over the last few weeks.

I have done a total scan and nothing has been found.

The sent email is not in my sent folder in Mozilla Thunderbird and I also logged into my account via web and it is not in the sent folder of the web based..

Window 7 pro..

Any suggestions?

Hi dcreedy,

Check the Internet Headers. Have you friend forward to you, a copy of the Emails, he claims are from you. Also have him copy the Internet Headers and send them to you. Then copy the Internet Headers and post them here, if possible, otherwise do a PRTSCRN Snapshot of the Internet Headers and attach it to your reply here.

• 3. Re: Guessing a Virus or Malware on Email
              dcreedy

I think this is what you are lookin for...

Received: from [209.86.224.33] (helo=elwamui-darkeyed.atl.sa.earthlink.net) by elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net with esmtpa (Exim 4.67) (envelope-from <dcreedy@mindspring.com>) id 1Xcgr4-0006Rp-MG; Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:32:02 -0400 Received: from 186.108.176.238 by webmail.earthlink.net with HTTP; Fri, 10 Oct 2014 16:32:02 -0400 Message-ID: <31675126.1412973122676.JavaMail.root@elwamui-darkeyed.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
              • 4. Re: Guessing a Virus or Malware on Email

we need two sets - one from a legitimate mail to your friend, and the ones from the suspect mail.

by comparing them we can tell if they both came from the same machine (or not).