Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3983 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2009 11:44 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
Newcomer 3 posts since
Oct 12, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 14, 2009 5:31 PM

Antivirus Pro 2010 and Safe Mode help

I have the AntivirusPro 2010 bug on my computer. I hit a dead end no matter what I try. Can't get MBAM, McAfee or Ad Aware to work. Can't get into Safe Mode either - it always goes to a blue screen with a message in white lettering.

When I try to turn off system restore it tells me that I need the password from the domain administrator. I am not set up on any domain.

Have downloaded MBAM-Setup.exe and renamed it. Will try to load from my jump drive onto theinfected computer but not sure how since I cannot get into Safe Mode.

What an aggravating mess!

Serious help needed!
  • Newcomer 1 posts since
    Oct 14, 2009
    1. Oct 14, 2009 6:51 PM (in response to hogfan)
    RE: Antivirus Pro 2010 and Safe Mode help
    ok i'll do my best to explain how to get rid of it. i beleive this will fully do it but being very new to this im not totaly sure it gets it all i just know that when i did this it hasn't popped up since.

i got rid of it by doing this (twice actually)
    0) ( i say zero as i'm not sure this is nessicary but it can't hurt) put up a fire wall stopping outside connections
    1) do a system restore to a time/day before the virus showed up(it will show you in add/remove programs when it got on there so this should be pretty easy) this will leve the files on the computer but inactive for the time being i did the rest of the steps quickly so i didn't give it much time to reload itself. not sure it even can but i wasn't about to wait around to find out
    2) do a search of "2010" in the windows computer search program through all files/folders
    3a) the fisrt(at least it has been the 2 times on 2 seperate computers) item that comes up with the 2010/fake program name.
    3b)stop the search, this is what you are looking for
    4) left click on the file in question and select open containing folder
    5) this will open the virus folder
    6) hit control A and this will select all the files (there are bunch, over a hundered if i remember correctly)
    7) delete them
    8) empty the recycle bin
    9) run as many security file scans as you can. as i have said this has made it stop on my computer but i don't know if its fully gone. i would assume if its not that mcafee at some point will have a scan/patch to clear it fully soon enough
    10)done

these steps should do the trick. but i also banned a bunch of isp(pretty much an entire days worth) so that might have helped. im not a computer guy but this can't be that bad if i can out smart it so i don't think its very powerful .... lol, hopefully anyway
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,482 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    2. Oct 15, 2009 5:57 AM (in response to kibbs)
    RE: Antivirus Pro 2010 and Safe Mode help
    Hogfan, if you can't download anything or even boot into Safe Mode, I would suggest either professional help - a repair shop for instance, or simply format and reinstall your operating system.

However, you could try one last thing here if you have access to a clean machine:

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=231079&highlight=boot+cd

Any questions regarding that should go in that thread.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,482 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    4. Oct 15, 2009 11:44 AM (in response to hogfan)
    RE: Re-format and install OS issues
    Yes you would lose all your data and yes it is also possible that any infection could be carried over to the backup. It's best to do frequent backups when your system is OK, that way you have soimething to fall back on. That said, I'm as guilty as anyone for not doing regular ones. It's luck if I do it monthly.

Try that Boot CD I linked to, assuming you can access another clean machine to make it on. Secured2k who authored it is an experienced expert in the field of malware and how to deal with it.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)