3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 8:27 AM by SafeBoot Branched to a new discussion.

Auto Renewal even with an Expired Credit Card

crossbow72

Unfortunately, I am no longer a McAfee user since I joined another company which I renewed this year. 

I was looking at my bank statement and I just found that I have been charged $129.95 from McAfee.  So I went to my old Email and found that I have an Auto Renewal for a subscription for McAfee.  I don't find that odd because I have used McAfee close to 4 years before swapping to a new company. 

MY MAJOR CONCERN is that I just found out during my request for a cancellation from a McAfee representative that "MCAFEE IS ENROLLED IN AN ACCOUNT UPDATER SERVICES FROM VISA AND MASTERCARD THAT PROVIDES MCAFEE WITH UPDATE CREDIT CARD INFORMATION.  THIS IS NOT INFORMATION THAT MCAFEE SEEKS OUT BUT IS INFORMATION THAT IS PROVIDED AS A SERVICE BY VISA AND MASTERCARD. THE CUSTOMER'S CREDIT CARD INFORMATION WILL ONLY BE UPDATED IF A CUSTOMER MAINTAINS AN ACCOUNT WITH THE SAME FINANCIAL INSTITUTION THAT ISSUED THE PREVIOUS CARD ON FILE."

Looking at my email :

22.08.2014 - McAfee Auto Renewal Notification

07.09.2014 - Please Update your Account information - "ATTENTION: The credit card linked to your account for McAfee-based security products has expired."

14.09.2014 - Please Update your Account information - "ATTENTION: The credit card linked to your account for McAfee-based security products has expired."

21.09.2014 - Automatic Renewal Notification - "Your subscription has been successfully renewed using the payment information on file."

So if you add the functionality of the AUTOMATIC RENEWAL and the CREDIT CARD UPDATER, what's the use of giving the user a warning about expired credit card information? 

Coming from an internet security company, I find that disturbing.

I don't think that every customer is aware that they have an Automatic Renewal ticked on their account.  Just a common courtesy to email every customer to double check if they have this feature activated or not. 

This matter has now been resolved but I just want to inform the public and McAfee about this situation.  I documented everything, emails and chat, just in case that this refund/cancellation doesn't happen.