7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 1:22 PM by Peter M

Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?

linloin

I think I have a virus/malware infection on my desktop Dell (where McAfee is installed). I have never used the pogram, but want to now, by conducting a full security scan of the system. I was surprised and shocked to find that, although the program is listed on the computer, I could not switch it on. The details of the program do not appear. I am, therefore, not able to make a full security scan. Am I missing something? Is my computer protected? Can I not scan it, discover a virus and eliminate it. I assumed that all this was included in my subscription. I would appreciate as much precise help as possible.

Thanks

linloin     

• 1. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
          Peter M

Do you mean McAfee Security Scan Plus?   If so In would uninstall it as it is merely a sales tool that often comes as an optional download with such software as Adobe Flash, Reader etc.   Maybe you overlooked the option when updating or installing.

It isn't security software merely a tool that checks vulnerabilities and offers products as a result.

If you mean your regular McAfee software wont open then that's a different story.  Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes things - http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help I need more information, your operating system and service pack (if applicable) and what Mcafee software is listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features.   I also need to know what version of Internet Explorer is installed even if you never use it.

• 2. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
            linloin

Thanks. I mean my regular subscription to McAfee (free through  Dell in 2010 and renewed in 2013 and 2014). I've run Virtual Technician, but problem not solved. I have Operating System Windows 7, Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 11 (which I use - but also have Chrome). I've checked Control Panel (Programs and Features) and all referred to are McAfee Security Centre and Virtual Technician. It seems to me that the full program has net been installed. Am I right? What do I do? - presumably simply download the whole program from new? I would be grateful if you could make the solution as simple as possible.

Regards

Linloin    

• 3. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
              Peter M

linloin wrote:

Thanks. I mean my regular subscription to McAfee (free through  Dell in 2010 and renewed in 2013 and 2014). I've run Virtual Technician, but problem not solved. I have Operating System Windows 7, Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 11 (which I use - but also have Chrome). I've checked Control Panel (Programs and Features) and all referred to are McAfee Security Centre and Virtual Technician. It seems to me that the full program has net been installed. Am I right? What do I do? - presumably simply download the whole program from new? I would be grateful if you could make the solution as simple as possible.

Regards

Linloin   

Yes it certainly sounds like that.  I suggest uninstalling everything McAfee via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.  Then go to your normal account page and reinstall, hopefully everything, from there.

Not sure where you are but one Dell/McAfee account page would be here - https://us.mcafee.com/root/login.asp?affid=105

• 4. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
                raya5n

Hi linloin , If You've the paid subscription from McAfee then, try to reinstall the security, that would try to clean up unwanted program & Virus Infection.

Regards,

Suresh Vishwakarma

linloin wrote:

I think I have a virus/malware infection on my desktop Dell (where McAfee is installed). I have never used the pogram, but want to now, by conducting a full security scan of the system. I was surprised and shocked to find that, although the program is listed on the computer, I could not switch it on. The details of the program do not appear. I am, therefore, not able to make a full security scan. Am I missing something? Is my computer protected? Can I not scan it, discover a virus and eliminate it. I assumed that all this was included in my subscription. I would appreciate as much precise help as possible.

Thanks

linloin    

• 5. Re: Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
                  Peter M

raya5n wrote:

Hi linloin , If You've the paid subscription from McAfee then, try to reinstall the security, that would try to clean up unwanted program & Virus Infection.

Regards,

Suresh Vishwakarma

linloin wrote:

Thanks

linloin  

Reinstalling the software will NOT clean up a virus infection, that is totally incorrect advice.

Peter.gif

Toronto ▪ Canada

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
                  I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
                  Use Advanced Search To Find Answers
                  How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
                  How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
                  Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
                  Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

• 6. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
                    linloin

Thanks Ex_Brit. Part of my problem is that, because of the invading adverts, I cannot use the Internet on my desktop properly. How then can access the answers for application to my desktop? I am at present using my laptop. How can I process the changes on the desktop?

Regards

linloin

• 7. Re: Security System Scan - How do I contact Securiy Centre?
                      Peter M

Well can you boot it into Safe Mode (usually by clicking F8 repeatedly while booting up) ?

If so ...

a) You could try rolling back to before the trouble started by initiating System Restore or...

b)  Use the Safe Mode suggestion of using Malwarebytes Free as linkd in the last link in my signature above.