Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1618 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2009 4:04 AM by paullotion RSS
Newcomer 2 posts since
Oct 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 1, 2009 9:52 AM

Personal Antivirus problem

A few weeks ago I was plagued by The Personal Antivirus bug. I needed my computer , so, like an idiot, I bought the Personal Antivirus software for $89. their icon appeared on my desktop. I was able to use my computer but the McAfee pop-up started appearing. I called Personal Antivirus, and they told me that I was now protected by them and I should disregard the McAfee warnings and probably remove McAfee. I left town for a week and when I got back, the Personal Antivirus icon was gone from my desktop. I continued to recieve warnings from McAfee (Am I protected = NO, Computer & Files = Protected, Intenet & Network = Action required, Email & IM = Attention, Parental Controls = Attention) I called my tech guy, who came over and said that Personal Antivirus was indeed a virus. He ran Malwarebytes and removed the virus.

The problem now is that I continue to get the warnings from McAfee that I got before. I can get an indication that I am protected if I turn off my computer and restart. The McAfee screen then in dicates that I'm protected, but it only lasts a few minutes. It then reverts back to the Not Protected mode. Before I was invaded by Personal Antivirus, I was almost always protected. My tech guy said that perhaps I should remove the McAfee software and reinstall it. I do not know how to do that and couldn't find instructions anywhere. My subscription expiration for the McAfee software expires 6/21/2010, so I think that I should be able to get a free reinstallation, but I have not been able to talk with a McAfee person. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks Steve
  • paullotion Apprentice 8,078 posts since
    Apr 13, 2006
    1. Oct 1, 2009 3:12 PM (in response to SteveColley)
    RE: Personal Antivirus problem
    Hello

like an idiot, I bought the Personal Antivirus software for $89. their icon appeared on my desktop.

Oh dear! Personal Antivirus is a rogue and as such i suggest you contact all bank/credit card companies and report that you may be a victim of ID theft.

If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Please read this: How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

I called Personal Antivirus, and they told me that I was now protected by them and I should disregard the McAfee warnings and probably remove McAfee.

I am surprised they answered the phone, you may want to report them to the FBI.

Please download Malwarebytes AntiMalware.
    http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Install, update and run a scan. Let Malwarebytes remove what it finds.

The Black Bear

*Important News for BT/TalkTalk customers*

BT/TalkTalk dump Phorm spyware, for more information see this article Here , also visit the NODPI website for much more information relating to DPI.
  • paullotion Apprentice 8,078 posts since
    Apr 13, 2006
    3. Oct 4, 2009 4:04 AM (in response to SteveColley)
    RE: To Paullotion--
    Run a online scan with this vendor to check that there are no infections present.
    http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

If all comes back clean, or any infections found are removed, follow instructions in link below to uninstall/reinstall Mcafee.
    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

The Black Bear

*Important News for BT/TalkTalk customers*

BT/TalkTalk dump Phorm spyware, for more information see this article Here , also visit the NODPI website for much more information relating to DPI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)