7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2014 4:32 AM by catdaddy

How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??

lindaj23

Caught a virus on my computer was not detected by McAfee! Why?? I have paid a year's on antivirus software this is not good!!

• 1. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
          catdaddy

Hi lindaj23,

Welcome to McAfee Communities. For us to better assist you, could you please elaborate more please. Are you experiencing any abnormal behavior? Experiencing any Pop-ups? Has your Homepage changed?

Any additional info would be helpful, to better assist you.

All the best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator 1

Consumer Products

• 2. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
            Hayton

What was the name of this virus and how did you find out it was on your computer?  Actual viruses aren't too common these days, the malware people prefer Trojans (much easier to get them on your system). It could of course be something brand new, in which case you should run GetSusp to look for unknown and unusual files; but if you've got one of the Fake Alert programs then it will try to frighten you with a list of fictitious and wholly spurious infections.

Whatever. Without knowing the name of this thing we can't say anything more. Have you got any screenshots?

• 3. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
              lindaj23

Hi catdaddy,

Don't know the name of the virus but it wasn't nice something to do with the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police and Interpol and a UKash voucher?  we were looking at the ice challenge on utube all of a sudden the computer froze unable to use anything not even the mouse, couldn't do anything! it was terrible! It was a nasty virus, how did they get our IP address/user name??  finally had it seen by a technician he removed the virus and he commented saying it had been around for awhile, a shame we had to catch this virus. Homepage not changed! Have run GetSusp now. Hope it doesn't happen again!!

• 4. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
                catdaddy

Hi lindaj23,

It appears that you became a victim of RansomWare. Evidently the Youtube video you were viewing had injected malicious code with-in it. I will insert an article which is very informative, and give you a better insight on how possibly you encountered this "Nasty".

In addition to this article, will also give you a Link to some Superb (Free) Tools to keep on hand, in case you should need in the future. During the meantime, please by all means make certain you are current and up to date with all of your Windows Updates/Add-on/Plug-ins/Extensions. Especially Adobe Flash Player - (14.0.0.176)

This is to include Internet Explorer, even if you do not use it. McAfee and other important programs do in order to function properly.

Since you said you ran a scan with McAfee Getsusp, if you entered your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning. You should have received a confirmation with a Work Item ID #. Save this for future references.

The first link as I mentioned:How you get tricked into installing Potentially Unwanted Programs

The second link as I mentioned: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

You may if you wish, keep Malwarebytes  (Free) on board. As it is compatible with McAfee, and a compliment to your McAfee Protection. To keep it (Free) do not try the (Free trial offer/or Activate) the (Free) version will suffice, and is a excellent second opinion On Demand Scanner.

If you should feel the need for future assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Here is a Removal Guide eclusively for the infection you had:

Australian Communications and Media Authority Ransomware Removal Guide

Wishing you all the Very Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Consumer Products

• 5. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
                  Hayton

CatDaddy is almost right when he says there was something malicious in the YouTube video. More likely is that there was malicious code inserted into one of the comments on that YouTube page, which your browser loaded and which then immediately ran in your browser. Google said some time ago they were trying to eliminate this method of infection, and I thought they had found a way to do so. Perhaps not, if that's where the infection came from; but equally they may have missed this particular video if it was posted some time ago. You should perhaps report it to Google so they can clean it up and prevent anyone else getting infected.

There are are removal guides for this malware in a number of places, and we could have directed you to a good DIY removal site if you had found your way here at the time of infection. There are many posts about Reveton (what Microsoft calls this) from a year or two back in the Top Threats section of Security Awareness.

As for the question why McAfee didn't detect this : it's a question of timing. If the code was embedded in a YouTube page it effectively bypassed the first line of defence by getting past the firewall. By the time the code started doing something McAfee would have been in reactive mode, and the first thing that code does is to attack anti-virus programs.

I wrote a short blog when this strain of malware first appeared, and a second some time later looking at the money trail; both of them drawing on the expertise of writers in this field more experienced than I am. You might find them of some interest, but you can get more detailed information from the sources I drew on.

Held to ransom : the spread of the 'Police' Trojan

Making money from Police Ransomware

• 6. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
                    lindaj23

Thanks for the help!! it's very much appreciated.

• 7. Re: How did McAfee not find a virus on my computer!! no pop-up message was displayed??
                      catdaddy

lindaj23,

You are perfectly welcome

All the Best,

Catdaddy