3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 12:36 PM by rmetzger

stop automatic deleting files

j4bz

is there some way to set virusscan to delete files in manual way? because some groups (specially informatic group) have many troubles when virusscan delete files that they use or need

• 1. Re: stop automatic deleting files
          rmetzger

Hi j4bz,

Can you confirm that this version of VirusScan is Enterprise?

If so, there are many settings that your Network / Security Administrator can change to help in these situations.

Additionally, I would be concerned if there are 'troubles' for a group of people all experiencing file deletion. Either their behavior or the software's behavior is suspect. Exclusions can be made If Absolutely Necessary, but exclusions should be rare and only used if High/Low Risk Processes cannot handle the situation.

A good read would be the VirusScan Enterprise Best Practices Guide: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD22663

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: stop automatic deleting files
            j4bz

thanks for reply. For now I'm trying to find some option that allows to see what is deleting or sending to quarantine in real time. But another trouble showed up, when the protection is setting down, after two minutes it turns by itself on, I've used this link https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52204, works well but always turns on by itself.

So, if we need to pass some files and avoid an automatic delete or quarantine whe need to turn off the protection for a while, but as I said, after two minutes, it turns on. These endpoints are managed by ePO 5.1, so the VirusScan is Enterprise version.

• 3. Re: stop automatic deleting files
              rmetzger

Hi j4bz,

j4bz wrote:

For now I'm trying to find some option that allows to see what is deleting or sending to quarantine in real time. But another trouble showed up, when the protection is setting down, after two minutes it turns by itself on, I've used this link https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52204, works well but always turns on by itself.

So, if we need to pass some files and avoid an automatic delete or quarantine whe need to turn off the protection for a while, but as I said, after two minutes, it turns on. These endpoints are managed by ePO 5.1, so the VirusScan is Enterprise version.

OK, yes you are on the Enterprise edition. And it is working as designed. ePO is set to 'reset' the configuration AS DESIGNED and this setting is set by your Security/Network Administrator.

One of the responsibilities of the ePO server is to periodically connect to the workstations (and other servers and other devices) via the McAfee Agent. This Agent Server Communication (ASC) initiates several things, including re-enforcing the policies set forth by the ePO Administrator. The McAfee Agent is common to many products, such as HIPs, VSE, Application Control, DLP, etc., etc., etc. This allows the security controls over the network to be centrally controlled, McAfee updates applied, and problems reported. Any changes made (to VSE) locally, are reverted back during the next ASC, thus limiting the time where malware could infiltrate the device and network.

Your ePO administrator is responsible for maintaining good security throughout the network.

Contact your ePO administrator to isolate the problem and make the changes you would like, in partnership.

Good luck.

Ron Metzger