4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 1:54 PM by PhilM

VSE 8.8p4 installation - Unable to change settings

PhilM

I have a machine which was taken from am ePO managed location and as it was no longer able to communicate with ePO wanted to install a stand-alone copy of VSE.

I ran the command to uninstall the McAfee Agent from the machine and once this was complete then installed a stand-alone copy of VSE 8.8 which I then patched to patch 4.

There were no obvious issues with either the removal of McAfee Agent or the installation and patch upgrade. But I have noticed that when I try to access the VSE console and change settings, all of the crucial settings are greyed out making it impossible to change them. The logged in user is a local administrator on the machine, so if it were down to permissions I wouldn't have expected this to be an issue.

I'd be grateful for any ideas why this is happening.

Many thanks.

-Phil.

• 1. Re: VSE 8.8p4 installation - Unable to change settings
          ja2013

HI Phil, Sounds like the epo management is still in place doesnt it?

1. Browse to the program files x86\mcafee\common framework directory.

2. Frminst.exe /remove=agent (From the command prompt) win7 might want command prompt to be started in admin mode

3. Remove vse88 from control panel if it will let you. Hopefully you dont have other mcafee products that would limit your uninstall.

4. Check control panel and verify all mcafee products are uninstalled.

5. Install vse88 from scratch.

If you are registry savy you could look at it before step 5 and further clean. Make sure before you remove ANY registry keys.

Good luck,

Jay

• 2. Re: VSE 8.8p4 installation - Unable to change settings
            willsonlebig

Hello PhilM,

Open VSE console and click on the menu ''Help''

• 3. Re: VSE 8.8p4 installation - Unable to change settings
              willsonlebig

Hello PhilM,

Open VSE console and click on the menu ''Help''

1- click ''repair installation

2- you will see a new window

3- then enable ''Restore all setting to installation default...''

4- click '' OK''

• 4. Re: VSE 8.8p4 installation - Unable to change settings
                PhilM

Thanks.

I have marked your answer as correct as it is broadly true. However I found my first attempt to remove the McAfee Agent (which Control Panel *was* reporting as present, despite my belief that I had removed it before installing VSE - and the System Tray icon was the VSE one, rather than the McAfee Agent one) from the command line failed and I was similarly unable to remove it using the Uninstall Program option in Control Panel.

I tried frminst.exe /remove=agent a second time and it then threw up a message saying it could not be removed while other applications existed that were trying to use it. So, I unistalled VSE 8.8 from Control Panel and then repeated the frminst.exe /remove=agent command. This time it was possible to remove the agent. I then re-booted the PC (so as to start from a clean slate) and installed VSE from scratch again. It is still performing its initial On Demand scan, but I was able to launch the VSE console and was immediately able to edit the update schedule (something I wasn't able to do before).

So, it looks as though I have control of the application once again.

Grateful for your assistance.

-Phil.