1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 1, 2014 8:26 AM by jmcleish

MSI issues updating EEPC v6.2.1.315 to 7.0.3.413

jmcleish

Hi,

All my encrypted clients have been upgraded to 6.2.1 on ePO 4.6.7. (2 servers). At the time, about 30 or so wouldn't upgrade EEPC from 6.1.1.275 to 6.2.1.315 via ePO no matter what i did (ePO deployed EEPC and kept asking for a reboot but never actually applied the new version), so I had to manually update them via command line.

I'm testing the install for 7.0.3  on my test machines

My task includes both EEAgent and EEPC

Out of 4 machines, 2 have installed both EEAdmin and EEPC successfully first time to 7.0.3.413

the two others (who have had the task modified and deployed about 4 times now)  log files say that they installed EEAdmin successfully (MSI log - MSI (s) (84:08) [11:39:24:404]: Product: McAfee Endpoint Encryption Agent -- Installation completed successfully.)

but have not actually updated the version (even after reboot) in the 'about' for the McAfee agent or under the applications plugin key in the registry.

Also, when these two try and update EEPC to 7.0.3, they fail with the following error:

MSI (s) (84:84) [11:39:26:310]: Product: McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC v6 -- Configuration failed.

MSI (s) (84:84) [11:39:26:310]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: McAfee Endpoint Encryption for PC v6. Product Version: 6.1.1.275. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: McAfee, Inc.. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1638.

MSI (s) (84:84) [11:39:26:310]: MainEngineThread is returning 1638

MSI (s) (84:F0) [11:39:26:310]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Have no idea why it still thinks 6.1.1.275 is still installed. The modules on the client are the correct version- I've even searched through the registry for the string  6.1.1.275 and found nothing. I don't know where its getting this from.

These two machines were i think tested on the manual command line upgrade to 6.2.1.315, but even still - they were done via msiexec using the correct command lines.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar issues with upgrading from 6.2.1 to 7x or any ideas what i can do to remedy this at all. I'd rather not have to go through the same scenario to before where users where asked to reboot several times and EEPC didn't upgrade.

Thanks

Jane