1 2 3 Previous Next 125 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2015 9:41 AM by Peter M

why is thunderbird so slow

barry1949

The only way I can get Thunderbird to respond without crashing is to disable email scanning. Is there any solution to this - or a fix in sight? Thanks

Note from Mod

McAfee SecurityCenter 14 .0.339 and later has the TB fix in it. version 13.6 does not.

• 1. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
          k3tg

What version of TB are you using?

I know there was an issue previously with the email that works with TB and this may be related. Please let us know what OS you are using also.

A moderator or one of the McAfee techs will probably chime in here to mention some more info about this issue

Tom K3TG

• 2. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
            Peter M

I believe that there is an open ticket on this issue already, but to be sure if I were you I would file a new case with Technical Support, see the link in my signature below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
            Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
            I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
            Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
            Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

• 3. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
              k3tg

Thanks for responding so quick

Tom K3TG

• 4. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                Peter M

Sorry, it's difficult with this new board to know who is doing what and when.

• 5. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                  Peacekeeper

I was the initial one who notified McAfee this issue had returned. McAfee took many logs from my PC (actaull happens on bothe beta and consumer versions)  but so far has not really reproduced the issue in the office. I am regularly chasing them up for updates every Monday moderator call and will update all threads when something changes. The email attachment scanning disabling is the only workaround other than changing email client.

Yes please call support we need all the support calls we can so they will get moving on a fix.

• 6. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                    ispalten

Peacekeeper wrote:

I was the initial one who notified McAfee this issue had returned. McAfee took many logs from my PC (actaull happens on bothe beta and consumer versions)  but so far has not really reproduced the issue in the office. I am regularly chasing them up for updates every Monday moderator call and will update all threads when something changes. The email attachment scanning disabling is the only workaround other than changing email client.

Yes please call support we need all the support calls we can so they will get moving on a fix.

Peacekeeper. I have reported this problem last May I think? All I get after the initial debug on my system is this message EVERY week!

===================

Hi Irv,

This is Samuel from McAfee Tier 2 Technical Support for the follow up on your Service Request Number: 484570-1500442298 that you had received from McAfee with regards to the issue that you were facing. We wanted to notify you that we are still researching on this issue and we will get back to you as soon as we find out a solution for your issue. We regret the inconvenience caused and we appreciate your patience.

With Regards,

Samuel

McAfee Tier 2 Technical support

====================

Not only that, the last update turned the setting back on! I thought I had a virus it was so slow.

With this new site I can't even figure out how to see or respond to Service Request Number: 484570-1500442298? I did reply to the e-mail asking for some real status and a projected fix date... but it seems it went into a BLACK HOLE!

• 7. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                      Peacekeeper

Sigh the site is missing a lot of old features including tech support links so see my pasted sig (as sigs not allowed at present unless cut and pasted.

Re Thunderbird It appears we may have to start again from the beginning that is why I asked you comntact support. They thought they fixed it 2 mths ago but it was not. as I have two versions of Mcafee causing this I assume they will chase me up again to research it if they cannot get a PC at work (Mcafee's) to show it.

The workaround works but I have been nagging them every moderator call to get this fixed thus the reboot suggestion as I feel the powers that be have shelved this thinking it fixed. New installs sometimes installs the default setting this can happen with any program.

Tony

Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
                      No unrequested PMs please
                      Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
                      How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
                      Free Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space! NOTE: You must register an account first.

• 8. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                        ispalten

I went on Chat yesterday to try and get answers. They checked and had someone from the team call me.

First answer I got was they don't support SMTP servers? Huh, my problem is with POP3 servers, probably on loading. Put on hold for a few minutes and then asked what TB version I had. Turns out it wasn't the latest released yesterday or so. Installed that, problem remained. Next was asked what McAfee LiveSafe versions I had. 2 were supposedly just released yesterday and I didn't have them. Just checked and I don't have them now either? I do have automatic update enabled.

They will call me this morning again (want to check some things) and the plan is to uninstall McAfee and re-install (which they did the last time). May have to do the same for TB as well (mild pain to get everything back working and connected, profiles and such)?

Still, turning off Real Time e-mail checking 'fixes' it, but that isn't good.

Hopefully when the see it happening still it might spur them on to fix it?

• 9. Re: why is thunderbird so slow
                          Peacekeeper

You got a job number this issue cannot be fixed bar rewriting the real time scanner module. You should have asked for an escalation or tell them the issue was reported 9 mths ago and to add it to the bug list.

Ok one should not expect users to jump through those hoops we need to bring this up again at next Mondays Moderator call and please post the SR job number as that tech needs educating.

When they call explain Tier 2.5 knows of the issue as do tier 3 and all the mods and that they need to relog several machines and bug report it.

Seems I will need to call in myself and report it from my Wife's PC as Mine is on beta version but it still happens. yes tried the new TB version and still instantly happens.

Thank you for going to the trouble of calling support we need many more to get things moving it seems

1 2 3 Previous Next