2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 9:50 AM by willsonlebig

Run autoupdate from command line

aagardner

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to run the autoupdate feature from the VirusScan Console using command line prompt. Once I know the CLP I can write a script to help in deployments of new machines. Can anyone help? Done alot of googling but unable to find anything of real help.

• 1. Re: Run autoupdate from command line
          Peter M

Moved to VirusScan Enterprise for better support.

Peter

Volunteer Moderator

• 2. Re: Run autoupdate from command line
            willsonlebig

Hello, aagardner,

VirusScan Enterprise uses MCUPDATE.EXE to perform update tasks. You can use the same executable command MCUPDATE from the command line, or as part of a batch file, to run update tasks.

The MCUPDATE syntax does not require any specific order in its elements, except that you cannot separate a property and its value. The syntax consists of:

• File name — The name of the executable file: MCUPDATE.EXE.

• Options — The option is preceded by a forward slash character and is not case-sensitive.

The command format is:

MCUPDATE [/<type> [/T ASK <guid>]] [/option].

NOTE: In the previous format, <type> can be ROLLBACKDATS or UPDATE.

The /T ASK clause is optional. If you use it however , you must also specify an update task ID (guid). The task ID you select must be for an update or a rollback DAT s task. Do not select to scan ID. If you do not specify a task ID, the default update task is used. T ask IDs are located at: hkey_local_machine\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\T asks\

The /option clause is not required. T o perform a silent update task, use /QUIET.

NOTE: The /QUIET option is not supported for use with the rollback DAT s task. This example

performs a silent update task: MCUPDATE /UPDA TE /QUIET.

For more details see the product guide https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22941/en_US/vse_880_product_guid…  at page P93.

You will see also others useful information about the command line!