5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 2:28 PM by Scott Sadlocha

    Update Master Repository Task Failing

    Scott Sadlocha

      Hello Everyone,

       

      I found many archived discussions of this subject in the community, but no definitive answer as to why, so I figured I would start my own. I returned to work today from vacation to find my ePO server unresponsive. All services were running, but I could not get a web console to appear. I attempted to restart services, but of course one of them hung and would not stop or start, so I rebooted the server. Once it came back up, the console was available so I assessed the environment and found we were out of date on DATs and other items by about 2 days. I attempted a manual Update Master Repository server task and it failed, with an error message about file size:

       

      Failed to validate repository McAfeeHttp. File C:\Windows\TEMP\nai68D5.tmp\00000002\gdeltaavv.ini found size 2312, expected size 2313

       

      This happened a couple times as I repeated the job. I also attempted a pull now from within the repository, and got the same results. I also attempted to connect via FTP and the connection failed completely (this may be a block at our firewall, but we always pull HTTP). If I go into the DAT files, I see the file referenced, and it seems that the new file seems to be off by one byte compared to the existing file. Based on some things I read, I tried removing all the files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\VSCANDAT1000\DAT\0000 directory and pulling again. This time, the task failed with a hash error, as noted below. I then tried grabbing the updated files from the newest DAT and manually dropping them in there, and it also gave a hash error. I recall this happening to me about a year ago, and at that time, the task just started working on its own after a day or two, and that seems to be the case in a lot of the archived discussions I have found. I didn't want to wait for this to happen with outdated DATs in my environment, so I tried to be proactive, and it isn't working. Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening, or a possible fix? I find it disheartening that this seems to happen to people often, but there doesn't seem to be an answer from McAfee as to why, or a documented solution. If there is a solution somewhere, please provide a KB if you know of it. Thank you, and let me know if any additional information is needed on my part.

       

       

      Failed to validate repository McAfeeHttp. File C:\Windows\TEMP\nai9D58.tmp\00000002\avvdat.ini found hash 0BB2363E4B8DCE67BC2AC6FB2A1B439B7E11291E, expected hash 49CE68A1BC3F5F80783A72EFFB2546EA1E428893

       

       

        • 1. Re: Update Master Repository Task Failing
          Scott Sadlocha

          I should also note that I restored the original files I deleted from the directory, and I am still getting the hash error. Reverting back to the way it was didn't revert it back to the file size error.

          • 2. Re: Update Master Repository Task Failing
            Scott Sadlocha

            Some other items to note, I am running ePO in a virtualized environment, I am running ePO 4.6.6, and we have one ePO server with about 2000 clients, nothing too complex.

            • 3. Re: Update Master Repository Task Failing
              Scott Sadlocha

              I stopped and restarted the pertinent McAfee services on the server, and now I am back to the size based error message:

               

              Failed to validate repository McAfeeHttp. File C:\Windows\TEMP\nai1E29.tmp\00000002\gdeltaavv.ini found size 2312, expected size 2313

               

              I find it interesting that the server is trying to download the 7533 DATs when 7534 is now the current revision and what shows up at the download site. I am now going to try stopping services, deleting the files, restarting them, and then running the Update task to see if that helps.

              • 4. Re: Update Master Repository Task Failing
                Scott Sadlocha

                I might as well keep updating with my results here. After stopping services, deleting all files in the directory 0000 for DATs, restarting services, and running the Update task, I now get:

                 

                8/18/14 1:51:30 PM   Started: Pulling content from McAfeeHttp to Current branch
                  8/18/14 1:51:31 PM Repository Pull from site McAfeeHttp complete, 0 warnings, 1 errors 
                  8/18/14 1:53:26 PM      Checking in package Current\VSCANDAT1000\7533.0000\DAT\0000
                  8/18/14 1:53:26 PM      Checking in package Current\VSCANDAT1000\7533.0000\DAT\0000 failed
                  8/18/14 1:53:26 PM   Update Master Repository (error.-2147467259)
                • 5. Re: Update Master Repository Task Failing
                  Scott Sadlocha

                  Not sure what exactly I did right, but maybe I just needed to wait. It looks like rebooting the server, clearing out the old DAT files, and running an Update did the trick. I am now updating the Master Repository successfully. One item to note is that I believe all files in the DAT directory may need to be deleted and recreated, not just those files in the 0000 subdirectory. This is now good.