1 2 3 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: Aug 21, 2014 6:59 AM by willsonlebig RSS

Virus Scan console

eshanadp

Hello,

I am using McAfee Enterprise 8.8 version without ePo server in my working environment. I would like know, what's the procedure, if i want to copy configuration from one console to another manually.

I know that i can import AutoUpdate repository from the the console by importing SiteList.XML file. But what about the other configuration settings? e.g Access protection settings, On-Access Scanner..etc

Please help me to find this solution..

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Ishan

• 1. Re: Virus Scan console
          Peacekeeper

You posted in consumer so moving this to the enterprise forum

• 2. Re: Virus Scan console
            eshanadp

Thanks Peacekeeper.. waiting for the solution...

• 3. Re: Virus Scan console
              k3tg

Probably best to wait till a McAfee employee responds to your post as they could also assist in any troubleshooting that may occur if you would happen to run into a problem.

• 4. Re: Virus Scan console
                llamamecomoquieras

Hi.

I couldn't test because I am travelling but if you search for datastore.bin file and copy it in the new machine it shoud be fine. Datastore.bin keeps the info related to policies. To copy this file you may to stop access protection first and them mcafee framework service

Please, let me know if that works.

Best regards

Jose Maria

• 5. Re: Virus Scan console
                  rmetzger

eshanadp wrote:

Hello,

I am using McAfee Enterprise 8.8 version without ePo server in my working environment. I would like know, what's the procedure, if i want to copy configuration from one console to another manually.

I know that i can import AutoUpdate repository from the the console by importing SiteList.XML file. But what about the other configuration settings? e.g Access protection settings, On-Access Scanner..etc

Please help me to find this solution..

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Ishan

"C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\MID\VSEcfg.cab" contains the entire configuration as it was during the original install.

VSEcfg.cab is simply used to deploy the customizations to the workstation by copying it to the MID directory. Upon it's arrival, VSE sees the arrival and implements the changes from it's configuration. Once these changes occur, the file VSEcfg.cab sits idle and is not active.

If at a later time, you make changes or somehow the configuration is corrupted, you can return to this configuration by:

1) opening up the VirusScan Console

2) Help

3) Repair Installation

This restores the system to the current VSEcfg.cab configuration. ALL settings are reset.

You can create a new VSEcfg.cab file from some master system using McAfee Installation Designer (MID), and redistribute that VSEcfg.cab file. This would contain the customizations you wish (or delete as configured in MID) as it is copied to each system. (If the copy process fails, you may need to disable the self-protection settings of the VSE configuration to allow changes, prior to copying the file. Re-enable the self-protection features after the copy is complete. If the master system has the self-protection enabled, this should be re-enabled automatically.)

Within MID create a Configuration file, not a Full Installation. This will create a modified VSEcfg.cab. Copy it to the new workstation as needed. Once copied, give it a 10 minutes or so, before the changes take place. If the copy was successful, but the changes don't take place relatively quickly, you can use steps 1,2,3 above as well.

This process works for very small networks, but can get labor intensive as the number of nodes grows. At some point ePO becomes a more efficient and effective solution to this situation.

I hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

• 6. Re: Virus Scan console
                    eshanadp

Hello llamamecomoquieras,

Thanks for your reply, I have done same what you explain above but i was not success with it. It was not copied the configuration to the other console.

Thanks & Kind Regards,

Ishan

• 7. Re: Virus Scan console
                      eshanadp

Hello Ron Metzger,

Thanks for your explanation and deep instructions above but i am unable to find the VSEcfg.cab file in the file path, I have given a search for all drives but unable to find it. And then i have searched on 8.7 version as well, but no luck.

Please help me on this. Note: I am using McAfee 8.8 and via the installation i am selecting the Standard Protection mode, instead of Maximum Protection

Thanks & Best Regards,

Ishan

• 8. Re: Virus Scan console
                        ansarias

Hello,

Try to replace folder contact (C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore) with original machine (Configured).

Make sure you stop all McAfee services and try.

• 9. Re: Virus Scan console
                          eshanadp

Hello ansarias,

Thanks for your reply, I have tried it but, some of the files are not copied in the directory e.g mytilus3_worker.dll mytilus3.dll ..etc.

Note : I am unable to stop the McAfee Validation Trust Protection service and force to kill the process, but not successful on that as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Ishan

1 2 3 Previous Next